The Kenya Revenue Authority is zeroing in on 11 universities have been mentioned in an ongoing tax evasion sweep by the taxman.
Top universities; University of Nairobi, Kenyatta University, Technical University of Kenya and Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology have been slapped with tax demands.
Others appearing in the list are, Moi University, Egerton University, Garissa University College and Pwani University, Multimedia University, Maasai Mara University and Rongo University.
Out of the 11, six of the universities have moved to settle their dues.
- The University of Nairobi settled Ksh.221 million out of Ksh.3.5 billion
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology settled Ksh.295 million out of Ksh.890 million.
- Kenyatta University has paid Ksh.120 million out of Ksh.2.1 billion.
- Multimedia University has made a payment of Ksh.13.2 million
- Garissa University College has paid half of its debt at Ksh.10 million
- Pwani University has covered over 70 per cent of its tax arrears remitting Ksh.81 million
Other universities have not made any payments to the taxman. Egerton University has in a statement written to indicate financial constrains as its biggest contributor to its debt woes.