Rachel Wandeto’s family demands justice after her fatal killing in petrol attack

By Bonface Mulyungi

The family of gospel artiste Rachel Muthoni Wandeto is demanding justice following her brutal killing after she succumbed to severe burn injuries sustained during an attack by unknown assailants in Mwiki, Nairobi.

Homicide detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations have since taken over the probe as investigators seek to establish the motive behind the attack and apprehend those responsible.

Rachel died on Monday, May 18, 2026, while receiving treatment at Kenyatta National Hospital after suffering approximately 70 per cent burns.

According to police and family members, the gospel singer was attacked on May 16 by three masked men in the Mwiki area of Kasarani. The attackers allegedly accosted her while she was heading home, demanded money and benefits they claimed she had received due to her public support for President William Ruto, before dousing her with petrol and setting her ablaze.

She was initially rushed to Uzima Uhai Hospital before being transferred to Kenyatta National Hospital due to the severity of her injuries. She sustained extensive burns on her arms, legs, torso and face.

Speaking at the family home in Kabumbu, Kirinyaga Central, relatives described Wandeto as hardworking and peaceful, saying she did not deserve such a painful death.

Her uncle, Joseph Githinji, said the family was devastated by the loss and called on authorities to ensure those behind the attack are brought to justice.

“She was a hardworking person and did not deserve to die in such a painful manner,” he said.

Her mother, Sarah Njeri, appealed to government agencies to expedite investigations and hold the perpetrators accountable.

“We as a family are in so much pain. The death of my daughter is unbearable and government agencies should act fast,” said Njeri.

The attack has sparked public outrage, with reports suggesting the incident may have been politically motivated. Wandeto had gone viral earlier this year after tattooing President Ruto’s face on her chest alongside the phrase “TUTAM”.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen visited the singer in hospital on Sunday, a day before her death, and condemned the attack, directing police to fast-track investigations.

Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja confirmed that investigations had commenced and ordered detectives to move swiftly in establishing the circumstances and motive behind the incident.

The DCI said homicide detectives are pursuing all leads and assured the public that investigations will be conducted thoroughly and impartially.