China accuses India of ‘deliberate attacks’ at Himalayan border

Foreign ministry spokesman Lijian Zhao said Indian troops had crossed into Chinese land, and triggered fierce physical conflicts”.

China republic has accused Indian troops of deliberately provocation in its first official comments on Monday’s deadly clash at a disputed Himalayan border.

On Friday Indian PM Narendra Modi said no foreign soldiers had crossed India’s borders and no territory had been lost.

In a televised statement on Friday, Mr Modi said there had been no incursion into Indian territory.

“Nobody has intruded into our border, neither is anybody there now, nor have our posts been captured,” he said.

India’s armed forces had been “given a free hand to take all necessary steps” to protect Indian territory, he added.


Twenty Indian soldiers were killed in the clash in the Galwan Valley. India has said that both sides suffered losses during the fighting.

According to the BBC, the Galwan river valley in Ladakh, with its harsh climate and high-altitude terrain, is close to Aksai Chin, a disputed area claimed by India but controlled by China.

India and China have a history of face-offs and overlapping territorial claims along the more than 3,440km (2,100 mile), poorly drawn LAC separating the two sides.