The Kenya Union of Clinical officers through its chairman Peterson Wachira has issued a 14-day-strike notice. – By Meshack Makau
While addressing the media at Hill Park Hotel in Upper hill this afternoon, the National chair pointed out that the death of David Makori Orare is as a result of government’s negligence to exempt the vulnerable from active frontline duty and direct them to work from home.
“Sometimes it’s a bit baffling when you know that it’s within the knowledge of policy makers that WHO, UN and all concerned bodies have actually indicated that people above 55 years, with pre-existing conditions and pregnant are vulnerable to Covid-19. It’s baffling why somebody should just sit and watch our senior most experts in medical profession succumb to this virus without doing anything,” said Wachira.
The National tally of clinical officers who have succumbed to Covid-19 now stands at seven with the latest of a senior clinical officer in Kisii Level VI Teaching and Referral Hospital who died early this morning.
A week ago, the union had issued the government a demand letter with a 7-day ultimatum but there has been no response so far. Mr. Wachira also complained of inadequate supply of PPEs to the medics citing that this has greatly exposed them to Corona virus danger.
In a press release seen by Uzalendo News the Union has highlighted nine demands the government should fulfill with the next fourteen days;
• Provision of adequate quantities of the right PPEs at all the levels of health service delivery
• All heath workers belonging to the vulnerable group be exempted from active frontline duty and directed to work from home
• Provision of a comprehensive medical cover to cater for health workers
• All salaries for UHC staff deployed to counties be paid within the next fourteen days
• Health risk allowance be harmonized and increased to cushion Clinical officers.
• 3,000 Clinical officers be recruited and employed as permanent and pensionable to replace those exempt from active duty
• All clinical officers currently serving on contract terms be converted into permanent and pensionable establishment
• A health Service Commission be included in the constitutional amendment bill
• All promotions across all counties and ministry of health be effected and arrears be paid