On Monday, a Nairobi court will hear a case filed by a family demanding the exhumation of a 47-year-old woman.
She was buried without their knowledge by Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) last month.
Sabenzia Chepkesis Killong was admitted to KNH in December, died eight days later on December 28 and was buried by the referral facility in an unmarked grave at the Lang’ata Cemetery, according to her relatives.
Ms Killong’s family also needs an autopsy to determine the cause of death.
They want the court to authorize them to rebury their relatives at Ndalu in Bungoma County’s Tongaren Constituency.
“Upon considering the application, it is hereby ordered that the application is certified urgent and that the application be served for inter partes hearing on May 17, before Hon Kivuti,” Senior Principal Magistrate D W Mburu of the Milimani Commercial Magistrate Court said.
The hospital said it followed all Ministry of Health rules under the Public Health Act Cap 242 of the Laws of Kenya.
The law recommends that a body should be removed from the mortuary within two weeks and thereafter disposed off.
“Despite our best efforts, we could not trace Sabenzia’s next of kin at the time of admission and throughout her treatment,” Dr Evans Kamuri, the KNH chief executive, said in a statement recently.