By Bonface Mulyungi
Matatu operators have officially called off their planned strike following talks with President William Ruto, ending uncertainty over a possible return of transport disruptions next week.

The operators had earlier suspended the industrial action for seven days to allow negotiations with the government after a nationwide protest over soaring fuel prices brought public transport services to a near standstill in many parts of the country.
Addressing the nation from State House, Mombasa, on Friday morning, Ruto said he held lengthy consultations with leaders from the transport sector on Thursday as part of efforts to find a lasting solution to concerns raised by operators.

The President announced that the government would further reduce the price of diesel by Sh10 per litre in the June-July fuel price review, building on earlier measures introduced to cushion consumers and businesses from the impact of rising global oil prices.
The latest reduction is expected to lower the cost of diesel to Sh222.86 per litre in Nairobi, offering relief to public transport operators, logistics companies, farmers and manufacturers who heavily depend on the fuel.
National Chairman of the Matatu Owners Association (MOA) Albert Karakacha said the fresh intervention, coupled with continued engagement between the government and transport stakeholders, had persuaded operators to abandon plans for further industrial action.
“We have called off the strike. We had suspended the strike, but we have called it off. We will not have a strike next week; we are going to work,” Karakacha said.
He thanked the government for the measures it has taken to stabilise fuel prices and pledged the sector’s support in efforts aimed at protecting livelihoods and sustaining economic activity. Karakacha also singled out Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja for his role in mediating between transport operators and the government during the crisis, saying the engagement helped prevent further disruption in the capital.
“We know that the county of Nairobi lost a lot of money, and we agreed with him that we have to work together to make sure that everything is going to work. So, we want to thank the government, we want to thank the President. They have sorted out a lot of our issues which have been pending for long,” he said.

The fuel crisis was triggered by the May 14 review by the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA), which increased the price of Super Petrol by Sh16.65 per litre and Diesel by Sh46.29 per litre, pushing pump prices in Nairobi to Sh214.25 and Sh242.92 respectively.
The sharp increase sparked outrage among transport operators and motorists, culminating in a two-day nationwide strike organised by the Transport Sector Alliance.
Thousands of commuters were forced to walk long distances to work as matatus, online taxi operators, cargo transporters and motorcycle riders withdrew services in protest.
The government subsequently reduced diesel prices by Sh10.06 per litre and initiated negotiations with sector representatives. Although operators initially rejected the concession, insisting it fell short of their demand for a reduction of between Sh30 and Sh35 per litre, further consultations paved the way for a temporary truce and eventual resolution.
As normal transport services resume across the country, Karakacha urged leaders and the public to avoid politicising the fuel crisis and instead focus on rebuilding the economy. “Let’s build our country; politics will come in 2027,” he said.


















