According to an autopsy report conducted by officials from the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA), one of the suspects in the Unaitas Sacco robbery incident in Murang’a was shot nine times.
The culprit, identified as ex-police officer Joseph Kamau, was found with three gunshot wounds in the head and six in the body.
The autopsy was performed in the presence of family members and IPOA officers at Murang’a District Hospital.
Three bullets on Kamau’s head had entry and exit locations, while the other six on his back did not, according to pathologist Kamotho Watenga.
The report also revealed that the robbery suspect might have died of gunshot wounds but also had bruises on the legs, wrists and back indicating that he could have been hit with a blunt object.
Watenga said an X-ray scan would be performed on the body to establish whether the bullets are still stuck inside the body and that ballistic experts would be able to tell if the deceased was shot at a close range.
Even though the body of the second suspect is yet to be identified, Kamau has already been identified as a 30-year-old father of two young children.
My Son Was Innocent
His father, Francis Kangethe who was also present during the autopsy expressed his disappointment in his son’s brutal death, calling for heightened investigations on the case.
Kangethe who dismissed the police reports on Kamau’s death maintained that his son was obedient and he was shocked to learn of his death.
“We found out about his death through social media. We urge the state to come clean, offer details on how our kin died even as we hope we will get justice,” he said.
“When I saw the first photo, I was expecting that he would be taken to court, but the turn of events was shocking, and we are having many questions. The family was shocked by his death.”
Kang’ethe stated that his son served in the police force for five years, from 2017 to 2021, but was fired for deserting duty.
The DCI posted photographs of the two suspects in arrest and afterwards the same guys dead in last week’s event, which has since left police officers on the spot.
On Tuesday, Central Kenya Regional Commissioner Fredrick Shisia defended the police, claiming the couple reportedly killed in a shootout between the police and fellow gang members while transporting the police to their hideout.