Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6
27.3 C
Kenya
Sunday, May 24, 2026
Home Blog Page 1373

Kenya’s HoneyCoin Secures Ksh.632 Million Seed Funding for Global Expansion

David Nandwa (centre) with the HoneyCoin team. Photo: HoneyCoin

Kenyan fintech start-up HoneyCoin has raised $4.9 million (about Ksh.632 million) in seed capital to accelerate its expansion into Africa, Latin America, and Asia.

The funding round was led by Flourish Ventures and backed by TLcom Capital, Stellar Development Foundation, Lava, Musha Ventures, 4DX Ventures, Antler, and Visa Ventures.

Founded in 2020 by CEO David Nandwa, HoneyCoin builds stablecoin-powered payment infrastructure that integrates directly with banks, mobile money networks, and global payment partners. The platform enables businesses to move funds within hours, rather than days, at a fraction of traditional costs.

HoneyCoin currently processes $150 million in transactions monthly, serving 350 enterprise clients and 326,000 direct consumers.

The company, which has been profitable for the past two years, generates most of its revenue from B2B settlement and acquiring services, with corporate customers paying up to $2,500 monthly to integrate its payments API.

Operating in 15 African countries, the US, and parts of Europe, the start-up plans to launch a stablecoin-backed debit card in partnership with Visa and a cross-border liquidity solution for African corporates with Interswitch in Q3 2025.

HoneyCoin also intends to roll out a banking-as-a-service platform in Ghana, Malawi, and Tanzania, along with a software-based point-of-sale solution for East Africa.

Nandwa said the fresh capital will be used to scale HoneyCoin’s technology, hire senior executives, obtain more regulatory licences, and broaden its services for businesses and consumers in emerging markets. Regionally, the company is targeting entry into Mozambique, Zambia, Rwanda, and Francophone Africa.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Elon Musk Threatens to Sue Apple Over Alleged App Store Bias Against xAI

Elon Musk says his artificial intelligence startup xAI will sue Apple, accusing the tech giant of giving preferential treatment to rival OpenAI’s ChatGPT in the App Store rankings, in what he claims is a violation of antitrust laws.

In a series of posts on X, the social media platform he owns, Musk alleged that Apple was making it “impossible” for any AI app other than ChatGPT to reach the top spot in the store’s listings. Grok, xAI’s chatbot, currently sits at sixth place in the U.S. “Top Free Apps” category for iPhones, while ChatGPT holds first place.

“Apple is behaving in a manner that makes it impossible for any AI company besides OpenAI to reach #1 in the App Store, which is an unequivocal antitrust violation,” Musk wrote, vowing “immediate legal action.”

He also accused Apple of excluding both Grok and X from its “Must Have” section despite X being “the #1 news app in the world,” questioning whether politics were influencing the company’s editorial picks.

Neither Musk nor Grok provided evidence for their claims. In a reposted statement, Grok accused Apple of “stifling competition” and showing bias toward “established AI like ChatGPT” over xAI’s “unfiltered style.”

Apple, OpenAI, and xAI have not responded to requests for comment. The dispute follows Apple’s June 2024 partnership with OpenAI to integrate ChatGPT into its devices, which previously prompted Musk to threaten banning Apple products from his companies, including Tesla and SpaceX.

Apple’s App Store practices have long faced legal scrutiny. In April, a California federal judge ruled the company violated a court order intended to boost competition in app distribution and payment systems, stemming from Epic Games’ 2021 antitrust lawsuit.

That same month, the European Commission fined Apple €500 million ($570 million) for restricting developers from steering users toward cheaper alternatives outside the App Store, a penalty Apple is currently appealing.

Musk’s legal threat adds to growing global pressure on Apple over its App Store dominance, as regulators and rivals push for fairer access in the multibillion-dollar mobile app market.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Mathare NGO Moves to Court Over Police Payroll Dispute

Written by Were Kelly

Sheria Mtaani, a Mathare-based NGO led by Shadrack Wambui, has filed a petition in the High Court seeking clarity on who should control and manage the National Police Service payroll — the National Police Service (NPS) or the National Police Service Commission (NPSC).

Through lawyer Danstan Omari, the NGO named the Inspector General of Police, the NPS, and the Attorney General as respondents. The NPSC and the Law Society of Kenya (LSK) were listed as interested parties in the case.

In its application, the NGO argues that the NPS and the Inspector General have been taking actions regarding payroll management that undermine the NPSC’s constitutional and statutory human resource mandate, as outlined in the Constitution.

An affidavit sworn by Wambui and attached to the application states that a dispute has emerged between the Inspector General and the NPSC over payroll control. The NGO says the matter directly involves the interpretation of Articles 245 and 246 of the Constitution, which define the roles and functions of both the Inspector General and the Commission.

The court is now expected to determine the rightful authority over the police payroll, a decision that could have far-reaching implications on the management of the country’s security sector.

Apple Rejects Elon Musk’s Claims of App Store Bias Toward ChatGPT

Apple has dismissed allegations by Elon Musk that its App Store unfairly favors OpenAI’s ChatGPT over his AI assistant, Grok, calling the claims “unfounded.”

Musk, whose AI startup xAI developed Grok, accused Apple on X of violating antitrust rules by making it “impossible for any AI company besides OpenAI to reach #1” in App Store rankings.

Grok currently sits at sixth place among the U.S. “Top Free Apps,” while ChatGPT holds the top spot. He vowed that xAI would take “immediate steps” against what he called an “unequivocal antitrust violation.”

Apple rejected the charge, saying the App Store “is designed to be fair and free of bias” and that its featured lists are determined through charts, algorithmic recommendations, and expert curation based on “objective criteria.”

The company added that it aims to provide “safe discovery for users and valuable opportunities for developers” while working with many app creators to improve visibility in fast-changing categories.

Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games, whose company is locked in its own legal battles with Apple, mocked the controversy, quipping on X: “Heya AppStore, want to feature Fortnite?”

Musk has not presented evidence to support his claims, and industry data suggests App Store rankings are driven primarily by user downloads and engagement rather than editorial preference.

Still, the dispute underscores rising tensions between tech giants over AI market dominance and platform fairness.

If Musk follows through with legal action, it could bring renewed scrutiny to Apple’s App Store policies, which have already faced challenges from regulators and developers over competition and access.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Breakthrough Protein Therapy Offers First-Ever Antidote for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

By Michelle Ndaga

Researchers at the University of Maryland School of Medicine have developed the first protein-based antidote for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, a breakthrough that could transform emergency treatment for the deadly condition. The innovation, detailed in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, uses an engineered protein, RcoM-HBD-CCC, to rapidly and selectively remove CO from the bloodstream without interfering with oxygen transport.

Carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin up to 400 times more strongly than oxygen, depriving tissues of oxygen and causing potentially fatal brain and heart damage. Current treatments rely on oxygen therapy, which can take hours and often fails to prevent long-term complications. In animal studies, the new protein cleared CO in under a minute and was safely eliminated through urine, avoiding dangerous blood pressure spikes seen with previous approaches.

If proven safe and effective in humans, this therapy could be administered in ambulances or emergency rooms, significantly reducing deaths and disability from Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Three Men Charged with Stealing Mobile Phones Worth Over KSh 2.8 Million in Nairobi

Written by Joyce Nzomo

Three men have been arraigned before senior principal magistrate, Dolphina Alego, at the Milimani Law Courts over allegations of stealing dozens of high-end mobile phones valued at more than KSh 2.8 million from multiple businesses at the Intermac Business Centre, Nairobi.

The accused; Jeremiah Njoroge, Marvine Wanguno, and Victor Kimani face several counts of stealing, handling stolen goods, and having suspected stolen property.

According to court documents, the offences took place on August 4, 2025, at the Intermac Business Center within Nairobi County. In the first count, the trio is accused of jointly stealing six mobile phones from Mkopa Kenya Limited, namely a Samsung S23 Ultra, Samsung S24, Nokia G50, Samsung A03s, Samsung A12, and Samsung A13, all valued at KSh 800,000.

In the second count, they allegedly stole three Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra devices
worth KSh 1 million from Mophone Kenya Limited.

In both counts, the prosecution has also placed an alternative charge of handling stolen goods, accusing the men of dishonestly receiving or retaining the devices knowing or having reason to believe they were stolen.

The third count accuses them of stealing four mobile phones from Watu Credit Kenya Limited a Samsung A04s, Samsung A05, Samsung A05, and Samsung A05 valued at KSh 1 million. They face an alternative charge of handling these stolen goods as well.

The fourth count states that on the same date and at the same location, while being detained by police officers on duty at Intermac Business Centre in Nairobi, the three were found in possession of 23 Samsung mobile phones, 13 Vivo mobile phones, two Nokia mobile phones, one LG mobile phone, one Motorola mobile phone, and one HMD mobile phone, reasonably suspected to be stolen or unlawfully obtained.

The prosecution told the court they were not opposed to granting bond but urged that the terms be reasonable in light of the charges and the value of the stolen goods. They also prayed for a mention date in two weeks for pre-trials. The accused pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The court granted each accused person a cash bond of KSh 2 million or one surety of a similar amount, or alternatively, a cash bail of KSh 1 million with two contact persons.

Their defense lawyer asked the court to slash the bail, arguing it was excessive, but magistrate Alego said she had arrived at the figure after balancing the value of the stolen goods against the charges.

Pre-trials are scheduled for August 27, 2025.

Kenya Law Mulls Premium Subscription Service for In-Depth Legal Research

Written by Lisa Murimi

The National Council for Law Reporting (Kenya Law) is considering introducing a premium subscription model that would require users to pay for access to certain features on its Kenya Law platform.

In a statement, the Council revealed it is currently running an anonymous public survey to gather feedback on potential paid services. 

The survey, available on the newly upgraded new.kenyalaw.org website until September 12, seeks to determine which tools and content Kenyans would be willing to pay for.

“With this enhanced platform, we are exploring premium subscriptions to exclusive tools for your in-depth legal research,” part of the survey reads.

Kenya Law, previously accessible via kenyalaw.org, offers a free database of legal resources, including the Laws of Kenya, law reports, and weekly and special gazette notices. 

It also provides parliamentary and county legislation reports and collaborates with universities and other institutions to promote legal excellence.

The survey indicates that possible premium features could include:

  • Advanced Search for Case Law, Laws of Kenya, and Kenya Gazette databases.
  • Case Citator to view case citations.
  • Case History tracking from Subordinate Courts to the Supreme Court.
  • Document Versioning for legislation to allow point-in-time access.
  • Medium Neutral Citation (MNC) for precise case identification.

Participants are being asked which databases they use most, between Case Law, Laws of Kenya, and Kenya Gazette, and their preferred payment model, with options ranging from annual and monthly subscriptions to pay-per-view or pay-per-download.

The move signals a possible shift from Kenya Law’s entirely free access model to a tiered service designed to support more advanced legal research needs.

Kenyan Engineer Escapes Captivity in South Sudan After Week-Long Ordeal

An aerial of smoke from planes burnt at the Khartoum International Airport on April 17, 2023. Photo International Civil Group

Written by Lisa Murimi

A Kenyan engineer working in South Sudan has escaped after spending over a week in captivity, according to reports from Juba.

Radio Tamazuj identified the survivor as Richard Matiangi, who was abducted on Wednesday, July 30 by an armed group in Morobo County, near the Democratic Republic of Congo border, about 200 kilometres from the capital, Juba.

Matiangi was travelling to Uganda with fellow Kenyan engineer James Kariuki and four South Sudanese youths when they were ambushed. The attackers reportedly shot Kariuki dead and set their vehicle on fire, leaving the Kenyan’s body inside.

The group had been en route to purchase construction materials for renovations at Holy Trinity Church’s primary school and parish. Following the attack, Matiangi and the South Sudanese companions were forced to walk for over seven hours through the bush to a rebel camp.

Four days later, one of the captors, identified as a rebel fighter, allegedly advised the hostages to flee. They trekked for miles before reaching Morobo Town, where they were spotted near a church during prayers, according to Isaac Batali, Chairperson of Holy Trinity Parish.

At least one assailant was killed in a pursuit by the South Sudan People’s Defence Forces (SSPDF). While the attackers reportedly wore SPLA–IO uniforms, their identities remain unconfirmed.

Matiangi was freed last week and is now escorting Kariuki’s body back to Kenya for burial.

This incident follows a string of deadly attacks on Kenyans in South Sudan, including an April 2021 ambush along the Juba–Nimule highway that left two truck drivers dead and others missing.

 Despite insecurity, South Sudan continues to attract Kenyan job seekers, with an estimated 50,000 Kenyans migrating there between January and June 2024.

Treasury Rolls Out New Digital System for Salary and Pension Payments to Improve Efficiency

The National Treasury has announced a major shift in the management of public finances by migrating all government salary and pension payments to a newly developed online system.

The move is aimed at enhancing transparency, improving efficiency, and reducing delays in the disbursement of funds to civil servants and retirees.

The new platform, developed as part of ongoing public sector reforms, is designed to streamline payroll processing, eliminate manual interventions, and offer real-time tracking of payments.

It will integrate with other government financial management systems, including the Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS), to provide end-to-end automation from fund allocation to final payment.

According to Treasury officials, the online system has already been piloted in select ministries and counties, and the full rollout is now underway following successful trials. The migration is expected to address long-standing challenges such as payment errors, ghost workers, and the late remittance of pensions.

For retirees, the digital platform introduces a self-service portal through which pensioners can view their statements, update personal details, and receive notifications on disbursements.

The government believes the reform will significantly reduce the backlog of unresolved pension claims and improve service delivery to former public servants.

Salaries for civil servants will also benefit from improved accuracy and timeliness.

By automating validation processes and linking directly with the national payroll database, the new system aims to reduce administrative costs and curb fraud associated with manual processing.

The Treasury noted that training sessions are being held for human resource officers, accountants, and IT personnel across ministries, departments, and agencies to ensure a smooth transition. County governments are also expected to integrate into the platform in phases.

This digital transformation initiative aligns with Kenya’s broader e-governance strategy, which seeks to modernise public service delivery through technology.

Officials anticipate that the system will improve fiscal accountability, enhance planning, and support ongoing efforts to digitise government operations.

While the transition may face initial implementation hurdles, stakeholders have largely welcomed the change as a positive step toward building a more efficient and transparent public finance management system.

Written By Ian Maleve

HELB Invites Civil Servants to Apply for Training Revolving Fund Loans

Written by Lisa Murimi

The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) has called on civil servants to apply for loans from the Training Revolving Fund (TRF) to further their studies.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, August 12, HELB said the initiative targets employees of Ministries, County Governments, the Teachers Service Commission (TSC), and the National Police Service.

“This fund is set aside for the Ministry of Public Service to work in collaboration with HELB for Civil Servants… to pursue Certificate, Diploma, Higher National Diploma, Master’s, PhD, and Professional courses,” the statement read.

The loan offers up to Ksh500,000 annually at a 4% reducing balance interest rate, with a repayment period of up to 72 months via a check-off system. HELB clarified that no processing fees are charged.

Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must hold an admission letter from a recognized Kenyan institution, provide three recent certified payslips showing a net pay above one-third of their basic salary, and submit copies of their National ID and KRA PIN. Two guarantors from the civil service, each providing a copy of their ID, are also required, alongside recent passport photos.

Application Process
Interested civil servants should:

  1. Create an account on the HELB student portal and verify it via email.
  2. Complete their profile and upload supporting documents.
  3. Select the “Civil Servants Training Revolving Fund” under the loan application section, fill in required details, and accept the terms and conditions.
  4. Print, sign, and have the form stamped by their employer before attaching documents, scanning into a single PDF, and emailing to HELB.

Create a free account, or log in.

Gain access to read this content, plus limited free content.

Yes! I would like to receive new content and updates.

Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6