Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6
27.3 C
Kenya
Sunday, May 24, 2026
Home Blog Page 1378

Epping Council Seeks Court Ban on Hotel Refugee Housing After Violent Protests

The Epping Forest District Council has applied for a High Court injunction to block the housing of asylum seekers at the Bell Hotel, following weeks of unrest and violent protests in the town.

Council leader Chris Whitbread, a Conservative, said on Tuesday the move was necessary due to “the clear risk of further escalating community tensions” after a series of demonstrations sparked by the July arrest of an asylum seeker accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl, an allegation he denies.

Since mid-July, police have recorded at least six protests outside the hotel, with 28 arrests and 16 charges related to disorder. Some demonstrations turned violent, with officers and police vehicles targeted. Anti-immigration protests have also spread to London and other parts of England.

Whitbread argued that the Bell Hotel’s current use breaches planning permissions, given its proximity to schools and a care home, and claimed there was no evidence of criminal record checks being carried out on those housed there. “If the Bell Hotel was a nightclub, we could have closed it down long ago,” he said, accusing the government of “not listening” to local concerns.

The council’s application also claims the Home Office’s use of the property poses “a clear risk of irreparable harm” to the community.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer has pledged to cut migrant and asylum seeker numbers to counter pressure from the hard-right Reform UK party, but Whitbread said Epping had been left with “no choice” but to pursue legal action.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Congo Army, M23 Rebels Trade Accusations as Doha Peace Talks Stall

Members of the M23 rebel group ride on a pickup truck as they leave their position for patrols amid conflict between them and the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC), in Goma, eastern DRC, January 29, 2025. REUTERS

The Democratic Republic of Congo’s army and the Rwanda-backed M23 rebel group have exchanged fresh accusations over renewed clashes and troop buildups in the country’s volatile east, further clouding stalled peace efforts.

On Tuesday, Congo’s army accused M23 of launching multiple attacks in violation of agreements signed in Washington and Doha, warning it “reserved the right to respond to provocations.” The military alleged the rebels were carrying out near-daily assaults on its positions.

The statement followed M23’s accusations on Monday that Congolese forces were deploying troops and heavy equipment to at least six locations, breaching a July 19 Doha declaration of principles that commits both sides to support a permanent ceasefire. The rebels also claimed Kinshasa was failing to release detained members, as stipulated in the agreement.

Peace talks, due to resume in Doha last week, have been delayed, with neither side currently represented. The July declaration set an August 8 start date for negotiations and targeted a final deal by August 18. M23 leader Bertrand Bisimwa said the group had not received an invitation, while another commander told Reuters they would not attend until Congo honoured its commitments.

The Qatar-hosted talks are meant to run alongside a U.S.-led mediation effort involving Congo and Rwanda, aimed at securing lasting peace and unlocking Western investment in a mineral-rich region holding significant reserves of tantalum, gold, cobalt, copper, and lithium.

M23, which seized the strategic city of Goma in January in its fastest territorial advance to date, now controls more territory than ever. Rwanda continues to deny backing the rebels, insisting its forces operate only in self-defence against Congo’s army and ethnic Hutu militias linked to the 1994 genocide.

Written By Rodney Mbua

South Korea’s Former First Lady Kim Keon Hee Arrested on Stock Manipulation and Corruption Charges

South Korea's former first lady Kim Keon Hee arrives at the special prosecutor's office in Seoul, South Korea, August 6, 2025. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji

South Korea’s former first lady Kim Keon Hee was arrested late Tuesday on multiple charges, including stock manipulation, corruption, and violations of political funds laws, prosecutors confirmed.

The Seoul Central District Court approved an arrest warrant for the 52-year-old after reviewing an 848-page prosecutorial brief detailing her alleged “unlawful acts,” citing a high risk of evidence tampering. The move marks the first time in South Korea’s history that both a former president and first lady are behind bars.

Kim’s detention follows the dramatic downfall of her husband, former president Yoon Suk Yeol, who was impeached in April over his controversial December 3 martial law declaration that deployed soldiers to parliament.

The measure was swiftly overturned by opposition lawmakers. Yoon was arrested on July 10 after a snap election in June brought new leadership to the Blue House.

Prosecutors allege Kim was involved in stock manipulation schemes, illicit political funding, and interference in her husband’s party’s parliamentary candidate nominations, breaching election laws. Public criticism against her intensified in 2022 when a left-wing pastor filmed himself handing her a Dior handbag, which she appeared to accept.

Yoon, during his presidency, vetoed three parliamentary bills seeking special investigations into her conduct, with his last veto issued just a week before declaring martial law.

Under prison rules, Kim has been moved to a 10-square-meter solitary cell in a separate detention facility about 20 kilometers from where Yoon is held. The cell contains a fan, small table, shelf, sink, and toilet, but no air-conditioning or bed.

She will wear a khaki prison uniform, be assigned an inmate number, and have a mug shot taken. Her presidential security protection was terminated immediately upon the court’s decision.

Kim can be held for up to 20 days before formal indictment. If indicted, she could remain in detention for up to six months. Legal experts say she may challenge the warrant or seek bail, but both are unlikely to succeed given the perceived risk of evidence destruction.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Ngong Police Arrest Suspected Serial Rapist Linked to Vet Farm Attacks

Police in Ngong have arrested a man suspected of raping multiple women in the Vet Farm area, in incidents reported since 2022.

According to authorities, the suspect, believed to be a former inspectorate officer with Nairobi County and a resident of Embulbul, was apprehended on Wednesday while in possession of a facemask, handcuffs, and other items allegedly used in the assaults.

Investigators allege the man targeted picnicking couples and religious pilgrims visiting the scenic Vet Farm area. In several cases, he is said to have handcuffed the male companion before leading the woman into a nearby thicket, where he allegedly raped her.

Ngong Officer Commanding Station (OCS) Jacob Ndunda urged any potential victims to report to Ngong Police Station for identification and further investigations. Police say the suspect remains in custody as inquiries continue.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Duncan Ojwang’ Declines Ruto’s KNCHR Nomination

Dr. Duncan Oburu Ojwang’ has turned down President William Ruto’s nomination as Chairperson of the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR), citing personal reasons and a perceived conflict of interest.

In a letter to National Assembly Speaker Moses Wetang’ula, Dr. Ojwang’ confirmed he would not be taking up the role, effectively halting the vetting process that had been scheduled for today, Wednesday, August 14.

President Ruto nominated Dr. Ojwang’ to replace the late Roseline Odhiambo Odede, who died in January after a short illness. However, his appointment faced legal opposition from civil society groups, who argued it violated Article 250(2) of the Constitution and the KNCHR Act, both of which require the chairperson and vice-chairperson of a constitutional commission to be of different genders.

In this case, both Dr. Ojwang’ and current vice-chairperson Dr. Raymond Nyeris are male.

Written By Rodney Mbua

UASU Issues Fresh Strike Notice to Moi University Over Delayed Salaries

The Universities’ Academic Staff Union (UASU) has issued a fresh seven-day strike notice to Moi University, citing delayed salaries and failure to honor key agreements.

In a statement dated August 12, UASU Secretary General Constantine Opiyo announced that all union members at Moi University will withdraw their labour from August 20, 2025, if the institution does not implement the agreed Return-To-Work Formula.

The union is demanding that salaries for June and July 2025 be paid in accordance with the negotiated 2021–2025 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) rates. It is also calling for full implementation of the Return-To-Work Formula signed with the University Council on November 30, 2024, as well as adherence to clauses on staff review and promotion, and retirement age, contained in the 2021–2025 National CBA.

UASU further insists that the university must respect workers’ fundamental rights and freedoms as enshrined in Article 41 and Chapter Four of the Constitution.

Moi University has faced a prolonged management crisis marked by financial mismanagement, recurrent strikes, and growing frustration among students and parents.

In January, Education Cabinet Secretary Julius Ogamba inaugurated a new university council, replacing the previous one over alleged poor governance. At the time, Ogamba expressed confidence that the new leadership would restore stability and academic excellence to the institution after years of turbulence.

The looming industrial action now threatens to disrupt those recovery efforts unless the parties reach an agreement before the August 20 deadline.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Night To Forget: Sudan Humiliate Nigeria in a 4-0 CHAN Assault

Sudan delivered the biggest shock of CHAN Pamoja 2024 so far, dismantling higher-ranked Nigeria 4–0 in Zanzibar to go top of Group D and send the Super Eagles crashing out with a game to spare.

An own goal from Leonard Ngenge (25’) set the tone before captain Walieldin Khdir converted a penalty (44’) after Ngenge’s handball compounded his misery. Abdel Raouf Yagoub, outstanding throughout, struck twice in the second half (56’, 62’) to cap a ruthless, disciplined display.

Nigeria had begun with early purpose, pressing high and forcing corners that unsettled Sudan goalkeeper Mohamed Abooja. Anthony Ijoma thought he had given them the lead on 22 minutes, only for VAR to rule his effort offside. The reprieve galvanised Sudan, who grew in composure under Ghanaian coach Kwesi Appiah’s compact, counter-attacking blueprint.

At two down, Nigeria introduced three substitutes at half-time in search of a revival, but Sudan tightened their grip. Yagoub’s first — a precise left-footed finish — effectively killed the contest, and his second, swept home after a quick turnover, confirmed the rout.

From there, Sudan managed the game with calm authority. Their midfield pressed intelligently, the defence remained compact, and the attack chose its moments with precision. Nigeria’s rare chances — a header from Steven Manyo and a long-range strike from Raymond Tochukwu that rattled the post — were met with Abooja’s safe hands or the woodwork.

The result leaves Sudan and holders Senegal level on four points, with Congo on two. Nigeria, bottom with zero points and a minus-five goal difference, are mathematically out. Sudan face Senegal next in a top-of-the-table clash, while Nigeria’s meeting with Congo is now a matter of pride.

For Appiah, this was a statement win; for Nigeria, a humbling exit and a night to forget.

Starlink’s Shine Fades in Kenya as Patchy Speeds Push Users Back to Local ISPs

Starlink’s satellite internet service is losing momentum in Kenya, with more than 10% of its subscribers disconnecting in early 2025 despite an overall 8% expansion in the country’s fixed internet market.

Industry data from the Communications Authority shows the company shed over 2,000 customers in the first quarter alone, as consumers gravitated back to local internet service providers (ISPs) offering faster speeds, lower prices, and better customer care.

“Starlink’s high costs and slow speeds have deterred many users,” said Nairobi-based data analyst and former subscriber Chris Orwa, who reported paying around Ksh 15,000 a month for speeds that sometimes dropped to 10 Mbps — more than triple what many local ISPs charge.

While Starlink advertises download speeds of 25–220 Mbps, Ookla recorded a median of just 47 Mbps in Kenya as of May. The company’s entry-level residential plan costs about Ksh 4,000 per month with a Ksh 27,000 hardware fee, but network congestion has forced some customers into higher-priced packages costing up to Ksh 6,500 a month.

Late in 2024, Starlink temporarily halted new urban signups in Nairobi and other densely populated areas, citing capacity limits — a pause that allowed local ISPs to aggressively undercut it on price and service quality.

“Other providers have stepped up with more bandwidth at lower costs and better customer support,” said technology analyst and early adopter Moses Kemibaro.

Without a physical presence in Kenya, Starlink’s online-only support has left some users frustrated. Orwa says a hardware fault he reported in October 2024 remained unresolved.

The result is a clear shift in consumer sentiment: after a surge in signups in 2023–24, Starlink’s once-glowing appeal in Kenya is now dimming under the twin pressures of cost and competition.

US and China Maintain Fragile Calm with 90-Day Trade Ceasefire

The United States and China have agreed to extend their trade truce for another 90 days, just hours before a deadline that would have seen both countries sharply increase tariffs on each other’s goods.

US President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday to maintain the pause until 10 November, while Beijing announced a similar extension. The move means the US will keep its tariff on Chinese imports at 30%, while China will continue imposing a 10% duty on American goods.

The agreement averts a planned escalation that earlier this year had seen Washington threaten tariffs as high as 145% on Chinese products, with Beijing warning of 125% duties on US shipments. Both sides scaled back their rates following trade talks in Geneva in May.

In a statement, the White House said the extension would allow more time for negotiations aimed at addressing “trade imbalances” and “unfair trade practices”. It pointed to the nearly $300bn (£223bn) US trade deficit with China in 2024 – the largest with any trading partner – and pledged to seek greater market access for American exporters.

The Chinese embassy in Washington welcomed the pause, describing “win-win cooperation” as the right path, and warning that “suppression and containment will lead nowhere”. It called on the US to remove “unreasonable” trade restrictions, and stressed the importance of maintaining global semiconductor supply chain stability.

Tariffs have been a central feature of Trump’s economic strategy since his return to the White House in January. The president has argued they will boost domestic manufacturing, raise revenue and correct what he sees as decades of unfair treatment by trading partners.

The latest extension signals a temporary easing of tensions, but the underlying disputes remain unresolved.

CHAN Defenders Senegal Held to Draw by Resilient Congo

Defending champions Senegal were held to a 1-1 draw by a spirited Congo side in their second Group D fixture at the TotalEnergies African Nations Championship (CHAN) PAMOJA 2024 in Zanzibar.

Congo took a surprise lead in the 19th minute when Charles Atipo’s cross from the right was met by Dechan Moussavou, who smashed a right-footed shot high into the net from close range. The goal unsettled Senegal, who struggled to impose themselves against Congo’s compact 4-2-3-1 formation and physical style of play.

The Teranga Lions, who beat Nigeria 1-0 in their opening match, found it difficult to break down Congo’s well-organised defence, with Venold Dzaba and Gosim Elenga disrupting their rhythm in midfield. The first half was littered with fouls and stoppages, limiting Senegal’s attacking threat to just a single effort from Mbaye Yaya Ly in stoppage time.

Head coach Souleymane Diallo made changes at the break, bringing on Vieux Cissé to inject creativity. Congo, however, continued to pose a threat on the counter, with Marc Diouf forced into a save from Elie Andzouono’s curling effort in the 69th minute.

Senegal’s pressure eventually paid off in the 82nd minute when Ousseynou Seck’s corner caused confusion in the box and Joseph Layousse drove a low shot into the bottom corner. The equaliser sparked a late rally, but Seyni Ndiaye missed a golden chance with a close-range header.

Both sides pushed for a winner in a tense finale, but neither could find the breakthrough. The result leaves Senegal on four points from two matches, while Congo move to two, keeping Group D finely balanced ahead of Nigeria’s clash with Sudan later tonight.

Create a free account, or log in.

Gain access to read this content, plus limited free content.

Yes! I would like to receive new content and updates.

Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6