Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6
31.3 C
Kenya
Sunday, May 24, 2026
Home Blog Page 1386

Leaders Urge FKF to Fix Ticketing System After CHAN 2024 Entry Chaos

By Michelle Ndaga

The Football Kenya Federation (FKF) is under mounting pressure to overhaul its ticketing system after widespread chaos and frustration marred Sunday’s African Nations Championship (CHAN) 2024 match between Kenya and Morocco at the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani.

Hundreds of fans — many clutching what appeared to be valid tickets — were turned away after their passes were flagged as already scanned. Victims alleged they had unknowingly bought duplicate tickets from unscrupulous vendors who bulk-purchased and resold them to multiple buyers. The debacle sparked renewed concerns about corruption and inefficiencies in FKF’s operations. Former nominated MP Wilson Sossion, speaking to Citizen TV on Monday, called for a complete overhaul of the system. “If we need to monetize the creative economy and football, we must have a very efficient ticketing system that enables FKF to collect the desired revenue. These fraudsters are spoiling the broth. Corruption and inefficiencies within the FKF ticketing system must be dealt with,” he said.

Kajiado North MP Onesmus Ngogoyo suggested the federation and government adopt alternative fan accommodation strategies, including setting up large viewing screens in other locations, to ease pressure on stadiums with limited capacity. “We also have more supporters than we can accommodate. The stampedes you see are teething problems,” he noted.

Tensions peaked on Sunday when some fans, frustrated by the lockout, attempted to scale the perimeter fence to gain entry, triggering a near-stampede. Despite heavy security, several breaches occurred, raising safety concerns and risking further penalties from the Confederation of African Football (CAF).

The incidents follow a recent CAF fine of KSh2.5 million against FKF for crowd control lapses, along with a warning of harsher sanctions if such scenes are repeated during the tournament, which Kenya is co-hosting with Uganda and Tanzania.

Public scrutiny is now intensifying over the unregulated ticket resale market outside Kasarani, with calls for FKF to urgently tighten controls before the situation escalates further.

Flooding Forces Temporary Closure of Mexico City’s Main Airport.

By Michelle Ndaga

Mexico City’s Benito Juarez International Airport halted operations for several hours on Sunday after torrential rains flooded parts of the capital and drastically reduced visibility, officials said.

In a statement posted on its official X account before 9:00 p.m. local time (0300 GMT), the airport announced that “due to heavy rainfall this afternoon and based on reports of low visibility… the aeronautical authority has ordered the suspension of landing and takeoff operations for the next three hours.” The measure was aimed at draining accumulated rainwater and restoring safe operational conditions. The airport one of Latin America’s busiest, handling 45.4 million passengers in 2024 was among several parts of the city affected by the downpour. Floodwaters reached up to 50 centimeters (19 inches) in some neighborhoods, disrupting traffic and prompting the Mexico City government to activate a “purple alert,” the highest warning level, for central districts of the metropolis of over nine million residents.

Heavy storms are common in Mexico between May and November. This year’s rainy season follows a series of severe weather events, including June’s Hurricane Erick, which battered southern coastal communities and left two dead. Last year, the country was hit by multiple deadly hurricanes, among them October’s Category 5 Hurricane Otis, which devastated Acapulco and killed dozens, and September’s Hurricane John, a Category 3 storm that caused about 15 deaths.

Operations at Benito Juarez International Airport gradually resumed late Sunday night as floodwaters receded and visibility improved.

Trump Pledges to Evict Homeless, Jail Criminals in Washington, D.C., Despite Mayor’s Opposition.

By Michelle Ndaga

President Donald Trump on Sunday vowed to remove homeless people from the nation’s capital and jail offenders, despite Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser insisting the city is not experiencing a current crime surge.

While details of the plan remain unclear, a U.S. official told Reuters the administration is preparing to deploy hundreds of National Guard troops to the city a move Trump has used in other cities despite pushback from local leaders. In D.C., unlike in U.S. states, the president has direct control over the Guard.

“The Homeless have to move out, IMMEDIATELY,” Trump posted on Truth Social, promising relocation “far from the Capital,” and pledging to jail criminals. The White House has not clarified the legal authority he would use to carry out the evictions.

Trump’s remarks come as city data shows violent crime down 26% and overall crime down 7% in the first seven months of 2025. Bowser, a Democrat, said the capital has reached a 30 year low in violent crime, crediting cooperation with federal law enforcement.

A decision on troop deployment has not been finalized, but 450 federal officers were deployed Saturday following a recent attack on a White House staffer. Trump is expected to hold a press conference Monday to address crime and public safety in D.C.

Oil Slips as Markets Await U.S.-Russia Peace Talks on Ukraine.

By Michelle Ndaga.

Oil prices fell in Asian trading on Monday, extending last week’s 4% losses, as markets awaited U.S.-Russia peace talks on the Ukraine war. Brent crude dropped 62 cents to $65.97 a barrel, while U.S. WTI fell 69 cents to $63.19.

The decline follows U.S. President Donald Trump’s announcement that he will meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in Alaska on August 15 to negotiate an end to the conflict, raising hopes of easing sanctions on Russian oil. Analysts warned prices could rebound sharply if talks fail.

Brent slid 4.4% and WTI 5.1% last week amid weaker economic data from China and concerns over Trump’s new tariffs, which could slow global growth.

Henderson: Palace’s Europa League Demotion Would ‘Devalue the Competition’

By Michelle Ndaga.

Crystal Palace goalkeeper Dean Henderson has criticized UEFA’s decision to demote the club from the Europa League to the Conference League, saying it would “devalue the competition” if they were excluded.

Palace were removed from the second-tier European tournament in July after UEFA’s Club Financial Control Body ruled, they breached multi-club ownership rules. The decision came because John Textor, president of Eagle Football Group majority owners of Ligue 1 side Olympique Lyonnais also holds a controlling stake in Palace. Lyon, who also qualified for the Europa League, were allowed to compete.

The South London side has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), with a closed-door hearing held on August 8. A verdict is expected on Monday.

“We win the FA Cup, we are justified to be in the Europa League,” Henderson told BBC Radio 5 Live after Palace’s Community Shield victory over Liverpool on Sunday. “For football purposes, we deserve to be in the Europa League. I think it would devalue the competition unfortunately if we weren’t in it.”

Palace said in June that New York Jets co-owner Robert “Woody” Johnson had signed a binding agreement to buy Eagle Football’s stake, but the deal came after UEFA’s March compliance deadline. The club’s FA Cup triumph in May had secured their Europa League spot.

“I know the chairman (Steve Parish) has fought hard against it and fingers crossed we are in the Europa League like we deserve to be,” Henderson added. “I am sure they will see sense and put us back in.”

Five Al Jazeera Journalists Killed in Israeli Strike Near Gaza’s Al-Shifa Hospital.

By Michelle Ndaga.

Five Al Jazeera journalists were killed on Sunday in an Israeli strike near Gaza City’s Al-Shifa Hospital, the broadcaster has confirmed.

Correspondents Anas al-Sharif and Mohammed Qreiqeh, along with cameramen Ibrahim Zaher, Mohammed Noufal and Moamen Aliwa, were inside a tent for reporters at the hospital’s main gate when it was hit. Two others also died, bringing the death toll to seven. Al Jazeera condemned the strike as a “targeted assassination” and a “premeditated attack on press freedom.” The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) later confirmed it had targeted al-Sharif, accusing him of leading a Hamas terrorist cell, but did not name the other journalists. Al Jazeera and press freedom advocates have rejected Israel’s claims, saying no evidence has been provided.

The Committee to Protect Journalists said the incident fits a pattern of Israeli forces killing journalists and later alleging militant ties. Since Israel’s offensive began in October 2023, at least 186 journalists have been killed, according to CPJ. Israel’s military campaign was launched in response to the October 7 Hamas attack that killed about 1,200 people and took 251 hostages. Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry says more than 61,000 have died since.

South Korea’s Military Shrinks 20% Amid World’s Lowest Birth Rate.

By Michelle Ndaga.

South Korea’s armed forces have shrunk to about 450,000 personnel a 20% drop in six years as the nation’s record-low birth rate sharply reduces the pool of eligible conscripts, a defense ministry report revealed on Sunday.

With a fertility rate of just 0.75 births per woman, the lowest in the world, authorities warn the decline is undermining military readiness against nuclear-armed North Korea, which maintains some 1.3 million active troops.

A recent study by South Korean researchers said the country needs at least 500,000 soldiers to defend against a potential northern attack, warning Seoul is now in a “structurally difficult position” to succeed in defence without urgent national measures.

The report shows the number of army divisions has fallen from 59 in 2006 to 42, through disbandment and mergers. While compulsory 18-month service remains in place for able bodied men, military duty is unpopular, and some conservatives are pushing to conscript women to offset demographic decline.

South Korea has boosted its 2025 defense budget to over 60 trillion won ($43 billion) exceeding North Korea’s entire GDP as regional tensions rise. Experts warn that if the current population trend continues, the country’s 50 million people could shrink by half within 60 years.

More Than 500 Arrested in London Over Palestine Action Ban Protests

London police have arrested 522 people in what is believed to be the largest number ever detained at a single protest in the British capital, following demonstrations against the UK government’s recent decision to ban the activist group Palestine Action.

The Metropolitan Police said on Sunday that all but one of the arrests took place on Saturday in Parliament Square, where thousands gathered for a Palestine Coalition march.

Protesters carried placards supporting Palestine Action, an offence under the Terrorism Act 2000 following the group’s proscription on 5 July. One additional arrest for the same offence was made at Russell Square.

The ban was announced days after the group claimed responsibility for a break-in at an air force base in southern England, an action that caused an estimated £7 million in damage to two aircraft. The activists said their actions were aimed at halting Britain’s indirect military support for Israel during its war in Gaza.

Saturday’s rally came as Gaza’s health ministry reported at least 61,430 deaths and more than 153,000 injuries since the conflict began.

Police confirmed 10 further arrests during the protest, including six for assaulting officers, though none of the injuries were serious.

Huda Ammori, co-founder of Palestine Action, said ahead of the demonstrations that the events would “go down in our country’s history as a momentous act of collective defiance of an unprecedented attack on our fundamental freedoms.”

The force revealed that the average age of those arrested was 54, with six teenagers, 97 people in their seventies, and 15 in their eighties among those detained.

The arrests highlight the growing tension between the British government and pro-Palestinian activists, as campaigners accuse ministers of using anti-terror laws to suppress political dissent.

Last of ‘House of Horrors’ Quadruplets Dies Aged 95; Ending One of America’s Darkest Family Sagas

Before they had names, they had initials, Baby A, Baby B, Baby C and Baby D. Born on May 19, 1930, in Lansing, Michigan, from a single egg, they were hailed as a modern-day miracle: the world’s first identical quadruplets.

The ‘Morlok Quads’ – Edna, Wilma, Sarah and Helen – were instant celebrities. Newspapers splashed their faces across front pages. Crowds gathered outside the family home. Businesses showered them with gifts.

But behind the smiles lay a nightmare.

Their father, Carl Morlok, a German-born white supremacist and Nazi sympathiser, quickly realised the money-making potential of his daughters’ fame. He charged visitors 25 cents to view the babies, paraded them in matching dresses, and by age seven had them touring the Midwest as a performing troupe.

Carl’s public image was ‘jolly daddy of four-of-a-kind’, but at home, the rules were chilling. The girls were forbidden friends, holidays, church activities or boyfriends. He removed doors so he could watch them undress, fondled them under the guise of “testing” their purity, and even ordered surgical procedures on two to prevent masturbation.

“He was a devil,” said Sarah’s son David Cotton. “If my grandfather hadn’t died, I wouldn’t be here today. My mother would never have married while he was alive.”

The cruelty took its toll. By their mid-20s, all four suffered severe mental health problems and were diagnosed with schizophrenia. Except for Sarah, they were subjected to electroconvulsive therapy and spent years in psychiatric institutions.

Researchers studied them extensively, even subjecting them to invasive spinal procedures, but offered little comfort.

Sarah alone built something resembling a normal life. After Carl’s death in 1957, she moved to Washington DC, worked as a legal secretary, and married an Air Force officer, with whom she had three children. Two died young, but her surviving son remained close to her until the end.

In 2015, Sarah published The Morlok Quadruplets: The Alphabet Sisters, glossing over much of the horror. “We felt like tin soldiers marching to my father’s rules,” she wrote, her only public hint at the abuse.

Sarah outlived her sisters by more than 20 years, Edna died in 1994, Wilma in 2002, Helen in 2003. She died last month aged 95, taking many secrets with her.

“She believed God was going to have the last word,” said biographer Dr Audrey Clare Farley. “Her father was a monster. Her faith kept her going until the very end.”

Two Japanese Boxers Die After Suffering Brain Injuries on the Same Night

The Japanese boxing community is in mourning after two fighters died from brain injuries sustained during bouts on the same card in Tokyo.

Hiromasa Urakawa, 28, died on Saturday from injuries suffered in his fight with Yoji Saito on 2 August at Korakuen Hall. He was knocked out in the eighth round and later underwent surgery for a subdural haematoma, a condition in which blood collects between the skull and the brain.

His death came just one day after that of Shigetoshi Kotari, who sustained the same injury during a separate bout on the same bill. Kotari had also undergone emergency surgery but could not be saved.

The World Boxing Organisation said it mourned Urakawa’s passing, describing the news as “heartbreaking” and extending condolences to the families, friends and the Japanese boxing community.

The Japan Boxing Commission has announced that all Oriental and Pacific Boxing Federation title bouts will now be contested over 10 rounds instead of 12. An investigation into the two deaths has been launched, and a meeting is planned for September to consider further safety measures.

The tragedies have prompted fresh debate over the dangers of the sport and whether enough is being done to protect fighters in Japan and internationally. Brain injuries remain among the most serious risks in professional boxing, and fatalities, while rare, have often led to changes in rules and medical procedures.

Urakawa is the third high profile boxer to die in 2025 from fight related injuries. In February the Irish fighter John Cooney, also aged 28, died after suffering an intracranial haemorrhage during a bout in Belfast.

The deaths of Urakawa and Kotari mark one of the darkest weeks in Japanese boxing history.

Create a free account, or log in.

Gain access to read this content, plus limited free content.

Yes! I would like to receive new content and updates.

Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6