Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6
31.3 C
Kenya
Sunday, May 24, 2026
Home Blog Page 1387

Two Japanese Boxers Die After Suffering Brain Injuries on the Same Night

The Japanese boxing community is in mourning after two fighters died from brain injuries sustained during bouts on the same card in Tokyo.

Hiromasa Urakawa, 28, died on Saturday from injuries suffered in his fight with Yoji Saito on 2 August at Korakuen Hall. He was knocked out in the eighth round and later underwent surgery for a subdural haematoma, a condition in which blood collects between the skull and the brain.

His death came just one day after that of Shigetoshi Kotari, who sustained the same injury during a separate bout on the same bill. Kotari had also undergone emergency surgery but could not be saved.

The World Boxing Organisation said it mourned Urakawa’s passing, describing the news as “heartbreaking” and extending condolences to the families, friends and the Japanese boxing community.

The Japan Boxing Commission has announced that all Oriental and Pacific Boxing Federation title bouts will now be contested over 10 rounds instead of 12. An investigation into the two deaths has been launched, and a meeting is planned for September to consider further safety measures.

The tragedies have prompted fresh debate over the dangers of the sport and whether enough is being done to protect fighters in Japan and internationally. Brain injuries remain among the most serious risks in professional boxing, and fatalities, while rare, have often led to changes in rules and medical procedures.

Urakawa is the third high profile boxer to die in 2025 from fight related injuries. In February the Irish fighter John Cooney, also aged 28, died after suffering an intracranial haemorrhage during a bout in Belfast.

The deaths of Urakawa and Kotari mark one of the darkest weeks in Japanese boxing history.

Families of Israeli hostages call for nationwide strike over Gaza war escalation

Families of Israelis held hostage in Gaza have called for a nationwide general strike next Sunday, in protest at the government’s decision to expand the war and take control of Gaza City.

The move follows Friday’s security cabinet vote to press ahead with a ground offensive into the city, a decision relatives say could endanger the roughly 50 hostages still held by Hamas, 20 of whom are believed to be alive.

“We are shutting down the country to save the soldiers and the hostages,” organisers told a rally in Tel Aviv, joined by the October 7 Council, which represents bereaved families of soldiers killed in the early days of the conflict.

The strike is set to begin as a grassroots effort, with private companies and individual citizens pledging to halt work for the day. Within hours of the announcement, organisers claimed “hundreds” of businesses and “thousands” of people had committed to participate.

Israel’s largest trade union, the Histadrut, has yet to endorse the action. Families are due to meet its chairman, Arnon Bar-David, on Monday in an attempt to win backing. The union staged a similar walkout last year following the killing of six hostages by Hamas, disrupting transport, banking and healthcare before being ordered back to work by a labour court.

Anat Angrest, whose son Matan is among those held in Gaza, urged business leaders to act. “Your silence is killing our children,” she said. “You have the power.”

Opposition politicians, including Yair Lapid and Democrats party leader Yair Golan, have endorsed the strike call, urging citizens to “resist and disrupt”.

Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu defended the military escalation on Sunday, insisting it was “the best way to end the war and the best way to end it speedily”.

Vinicius Jr Wants a Contract ‘Like Ronaldo’ at Real Madrid

Vinicius Junior’s future at Real Madrid has been thrown into uncertainty after negotiations over a new contract stalled, with reports in Spain claiming the forward has requested a package matching the club-record wages once earned by Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Brazilian international’s current deal runs until 2027 and earlier this year he indicated that discussions over improved terms were under way.

However, the latest round of talks is understood to have broken down, with the player’s representatives seeking a salary of around €30m a year. Such a figure has only previously been reached by Ronaldo during his peak years at the Santiago Bernabéu.

Madrid are said to have offered €20m annually, in line with the earnings of Kylian Mbappé, their current highest-paid player.

Club officials are wary of setting a precedent that could trigger further demands across the squad, mindful of Barcelona’s well-documented financial difficulties after years of soaring wages.

Beyond the financial implications, questions have also been raised over Vinicius’s recent form. Xabi Alonso, who will begin his first season as Madrid manager this month, is reported to have considered leaving the winger out of the starting XI for the Club World Cup semi-final against Paris Saint-Germain before injuries forced a reshuffle.

While Alonso is unlikely to sideline the 25-year-old at the start of the new La Liga season, there are suggestions within the club that Vinicius must raise his level to maintain an undisputed role in the side. Saudi Arabian clubs are monitoring the situation and could revive interest should Madrid decide to cash in.

Vinicius will have an early chance to reassert his value when Madrid open their domestic campaign against Osasuna on 19 August, with his performances potentially shaping the next phase of contract discussions.

Kitui Family Planning for Wedding Left in Shock After Grisly Accident

A family in Kitui County is in mourning after a joyous wedding countdown ended in tragedy, following the death of the bride-to-be in a road accident.

Jackline Kasau, 42, a teacher at St Mary’s Kinyambu Girls’ Secondary School, died on Saturday night while travelling home from her dowry payment ceremony.

She was in the company of her 10-year-old daughter, her future mother-in-law from Kibwezi, and a neighbour. All three also lost their lives.

Video taken just a day earlier shows Kasau dancing during the celebration, surrounded by friends and relatives as she prepared for her wedding, set for next Saturday.

Relatives described her as a loving and dependable figure, deeply rooted in her community. “She was like a mother to me. She took care of me when I was in school, so coming to terms with her death is very hard for me,” said her younger sister, Jacinta Kilonzo.

“It is sad to see the WhatsApp groups where we were making the final wedding arrangements turned into burial planning forums.”

The accident happened at around 11pm on the Kibwezi-Kitui Road in Makueni County. According to Kibwezi base commander Morris Situma, three people died at the scene. Two others were rushed to Kibwezi AMREF Hospital, where Kasau later died. The only survivor, a cousin of her fiancé, sustained minor injuries and was discharged.

Police believe the driver lost control after speeding, causing the car to roll.

Authorities said the tragedy was one of five accidents reported in the region that night, highlighting the ongoing road safety crisis. For Kasau’s family, however, the statistics mean little. What should have been a week of final preparations for her wedding has instead become a week of grief.

Crystal Palace Stun Liverpool to Win the Community Shield

Crystal Palace stunned Premier League champions Liverpool to lift the Community Shield for the first time in their history, prevailing 3-2 on penalties after a 2-2 draw in normal time at Wembley.

Dean Henderson emerged as the Eagles’ hero, producing two decisive saves in the shootout from Alexis Mac Allister and Harvey Elliott, while Mohamed Salah fired over the bar. The decisive moment came when substitute Justin Devenny lashed an unstoppable penalty into the roof of Alisson Becker’s net, sealing a famous win for the FA Cup holders.

Liverpool, featuring four debutants, made a blistering start. Hugo Ekitike, one of the summer’s marquee signings, finished clinically into the bottom right corner after collecting Florian Wirtz’s pass, capping a sweeping move that involved nine players and lasted just over a minute.

Palace hit back swiftly when Virgil van Dijk brought down Ismaila Sarr in the area, allowing Jean-Philippe Mateta to send Alisson the wrong way from the spot.

The Reds, playing their first competitive match since the death of Diogo Jota, regained the lead through Jeremie Frimpong. His driven cross-shot looped over Henderson in the 21st minute.

Patrick Vieira’s side improved markedly after the interval. Chris Richards and Eberechi Eze were both denied in quick succession by Alisson, but the pressure told when Sarr drilled home a crisp finish with 13 minutes remaining.

The contest moved straight to penalties, with Salah’s miss setting the tone. Henderson’s double save left new arrival Borna Sosa with the chance to win it, only for the Croatian to strike the bar. Devenny then stepped forward to complete the job in emphatic style.

Obama Portrait Moved from White House Foyer Amid Trump–Obama Tensions

Screenshot

The official portrait of former president Barack Obama has been removed from its prominent position in the White House entrance and relocated to a secluded staircase, in a move that underscores the strained relationship between the 44th and 47th presidents.

The photorealistic Robert McCurdy painting, once a feature of the Grand Foyer, now hangs at the top of the Grand Staircase, an area restricted to the first family, Secret Service and a small number of staff.

It is out of sight for thousands of visitors who pass through the executive mansion on public tours. Portraits of George W Bush and George HW Bush – both of whom Donald Trump has publicly criticised – have been moved to the same location.

White House protocol typically places recent presidential portraits in prominent public view, visible during official events and to tourists. A portrait of President Joe Biden has yet to be completed.

This is not the first relocation for Obama’s image. In April it was removed from the foyer and replaced by a painting depicting Trump surviving an assassination attempt in Butler, Pennsylvania.

The shift comes as political hostilities between Trump and Obama have sharpened. Trump has accused his predecessor of “treason” over the 2016 election, claims Obama’s office called “outrageous” and “a weak attempt at distraction.” Attorney general Pamela Bondi has since ordered a grand jury inquiry into whether Obama officials fabricated intelligence about Russian interference.

Trump’s relationship with the Bush family has also been fractious. The elder Bush, who died in 2018, called him a “blowhard” and backed Hillary Clinton in 2016. George W Bush, described by Trump as “failed and uninspiring,” attended the 2025 inauguration but skipped the post-ceremony luncheon.

The modern tradition of presidential portraits dates back to Jacqueline Kennedy’s tenure as first lady in the early 1960s, intended as a gesture of respect and continuity between administrations.

Chelsea Batter AC Milan 4-1 to Complete Successful Pre-Season

Chelsea concluded their pre-season in emphatic fashion with a 4-1 win over AC Milan at Stamford Bridge, offering a glimpse of the attacking intent Enzo Maresca will take into his debut Premier League campaign as the club’s manager.

The European champions wasted little time asserting themselves. Within five minutes, captain Reece James’ free-kick was inadvertently turned into his own net by Milan’s Romanian defender Andrei Coubis. Just three minutes later, Pedro Neto’s surging run down the right produced a cross for Joao Pedro to head home, doubling the advantage.

Milan’s evening worsened when Coubis, already reeling from his earlier mistake, was dismissed after 18 minutes for hauling down Joao Pedro as the last defender. Reduced to ten men, the visitors struggled to stem Chelsea’s pressure.

The third came midway through the second half, when new signing Estevao was bundled over inside the area. Substitute Liam Delap stepped up and dispatched the penalty with authority. Milan briefly threatened a fightback when Alexis Saelemaekers threaded a pass to Youssouf Fofana, who beat Robert Sanchez at his near post.

Any hope of a comeback was swiftly extinguished. Delap struck again late on, finishing coolly from the edge of the box after being teed up by Andrey Santos.

The performance was underpinned by vibrant attacking play from Chelsea’s new arrivals. Jamie Gittens, signed from Borussia Dortmund, impressed on the left, registering nine touches in the Milan box — more than any other player. Despite only featuring for the final half-hour, Delap matched Neto for shots on target, scoring with both attempts.

Kaporal’s Late Double Rescues Angola in Dramatic Win Over Zambia

Substitute Kaporal scored twice in the final eleven minutes to inspire Angola to a 2-1 comeback victory over Zambia in Group A of the TotalEnergies African Nations Championship in Nairobi.

The Palancas Negras had trailed for much of the second half but the result propels them to second place in the standings with four points from three matches. Leaders Kenya have seven, while Zambia remain bottom without a point after two games.

The day’s earlier fixture saw co-hosts Kenya edge Morocco 1-0 at Nyayo National Stadium, leaving the group finely poised before the evening kick-off.

The match began cautiously with few clear chances. Zambia’s Kelvin Kampamba forced Angola goalkeeper Neblú into two early saves, while Anderson Cruz and Vidinho went close for the Angolans. The breakthrough came in the 73rd minute when Zambia defender Dominic Chanda reacted quickest to a loose ball after a set piece to fire his side ahead.

It was Zambia’s first goal of the tournament and offered hope of recovery following their opening 3-1 loss to DR Congo.

However, Angola coach Pedro Gonçalves turned to his bench and brought on Kaporal, a move that shifted the momentum. In the 79th minute, he latched on to a pass from Gogoró and finished calmly to level the score. Seven minutes later, the substitute was in the right place again, slamming home the winner from close range.

Zambia’s attempts to respond were frantic but wasteful. Jackson Kampamba shot wide from close range and Chanda’s header in stoppage time went straight to Neblú.

The victory keeps Angola’s hopes alive, while Zambia now face an uphill task to progress from the group.

Mombasa Governor: ‘Tutam’ Ruto Re-election is Inevitable

Mombasa Governor Abdulswamad Nassir has set out his reasons for believing that President William Ruto will win a second term in 2027, pointing to unity, inclusivity and strategic political outreach as decisive advantages.

Speaking at a public event in Mombasa on Saturday 10 August, the Orange Democratic Movement deputy party leader praised the president’s efforts to embrace diverse communities along the Coast. Nassir said these moves had significantly expanded Ruto’s political base in a region once considered firmly opposed to him.

He recalled that in past years, some residents had been denied identification documents and told they were not recognised as belonging to the area. “But President Ruto gave us IDs. That is the first reason,” he said.

Nassir described a political shift from division to inclusion, noting that he and former Mombasa governor Hassan Joho had once publicly rejected Ruto’s leadership but later accepted his outreach. “Mombasa is home to people from all ethnic groups, which makes unity a powerful electoral advantage,” he said.

By 2027, Nassir predicted, the opposition would face a difficult arithmetic problem, resorting to propaganda and divisive rhetoric in the absence of a winning strategy. “They know they cannot win, so they will come with propaganda, lies and the language of division,” he warned.

The governor also backed the government’s plan to compensate victims of past protests, describing it as a step towards reconciliation and justice. He called for unity to be extended to addressing historical grievances.

In a pointed message, Nassir urged former deputy president Rigathi Gachagua to abandon what he termed the “cousin narrative”, which he argued was aimed at misleading coastal residents. “He is trying to deceive us, but we are united,” Nassir said.

His remarks underscored growing political realignments in the Coast region, suggesting that bridges built across party lines could shape the 2027 contest.

Nairobi Hospital on Death Bed? Insolvency Petition Filed

The High Court in Nairobi is set to hear a petition seeking the liquidation of the Kenya Hospital Association (KHA), the entity that operates The Nairobi Hospital, in a case that could have sweeping implications for one of Kenya’s most prominent private medical institutions.

The petition, filed by Optico K. Limited through C.M. Advocates LLP, will be heard in a case management conference before the Commercial and Tax Division of the High Court at Milimani on 13 August 2025. Any party wishing to support or oppose the petition may appear in person or be represented by counsel. While the filing does not detail the grounds, liquidation petitions typically arise when creditors allege a company is unable to meet its obligations.

The Nairobi Hospital has long been regarded as a premier referral centre in East Africa, but recent months have been marked by deep internal turmoil.

Separately, the High Court is hearing a contempt application against ousted KHA chairperson Dr Barcley Onyambu, chief executive officer Felix Osano, and company secretary Gilbert Nyamweya for allegedly defying a court order halting a board retreat in Naivasha. Justice Nixon Sifuna ruled that the retreat, held on 3 and 4 July, directly contravened his order, rendering any resolutions from it illegal. The order followed a boardroom coup in which Prof Herman Manyora replaced Dr Onyambu as chair.

The legal wrangles come amid a governance and operational crisis laid bare in a strongly-worded letter dated 9 August from Chairman Manyora to stakeholders. In it, he accuses CEO Osano of unilaterally increasing patient charges by up to 61% without board approval — a move he says triggered service suspensions by more than eight major insurers, severely restricting patient access and tarnishing the hospital’s reputation.

Manyora’s letter also cites infrastructure failures, including a non-functional boiler that has left patients taking “French baths,” as well as the termination or lapse of senior staff contracts without due process. He alleges top executives embarked on an unauthorized trip to China for equipment purchases the hospital cannot afford and the board had not sanctioned.

The chairman accuses both Osano and Nyamweya of “grossly disregarding the authority of the Board” and undermining stability amid ongoing legal proceedings. He announced “decisive disciplinary action” against the two in compliance with court orders, pledging they would be held accountable for the “reputational harm” and “instability” caused.

The board is in informal talks with insurers to restore suspended services, seen as crucial to maintaining patient access and repairing strained relationships.

The insolvency petition, contempt proceedings, and governance crisis now threaten to converge into the most serious challenge in the hospital’s modern history.

Create a free account, or log in.

Gain access to read this content, plus limited free content.

Yes! I would like to receive new content and updates.

Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6