Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6
27.3 C
Kenya
Sunday, May 24, 2026
Home Blog Page 1389

Newcastle close to signing AC Milan defender Malick Thiaw

Newcastle United are set to strengthen their defence with the signing of AC Milan centre back Malick Thiaw, who is expected to arrive on Tyneside on Sunday night to finalise his move.

The Germany international, 24, will undergo a medical before completing a deal understood to be worth up to £34.62m, including add ons.

Thiaw’s arrival would address a priority area for manager Eddie Howe, who has been seeking to inject youth and competition into an experienced back line.

Newcastle have endured a frustrating summer in the transfer market, missing out on targets such as Benjamin Sesko, Hugo Ekitike, Joao Pedro and James Trafford. However, Thiaw is understood to be eager to join and bolster the Magpies’ defensive options ahead of the new season.

Howe, speaking after Newcastle’s recent friendly, did not comment directly on Thiaw but praised the player in the past as “very good”. The manager admitted he had been hopeful for weeks of securing a breakthrough before the club’s Premier League opener against Aston Villa next Saturday.

“Everyone behind the scenes has been working incredibly hard and is very keen to get movement in the market,” Howe said. “It is difficult and it has to be the right player at the right price. There are many conditions that need to be right for a transfer to happen.”

Thiaw joined Milan from Schalke in 2022 and quickly established himself as a dependable figure in Serie A and the Champions League. His physical presence and composure on the ball have drawn interest from clubs across Europe, but Newcastle now appear poised to complete the deal.

If finalised, the signing would mark a significant boost to Howe’s squad balance and provide an injection of defensive quality for the campaign ahead.

Foreign Criminals to be Deported Immediately Under New UK law

Foreign nationals convicted in British courts will face immediate deportation under new legislation announced by the government.

Justice Secretary Shabana Mahmood said the move was part of “radical action” to ease pressure on overcrowded prisons and reduce costs to the public purse.

At present, offenders with no right to remain in the UK can be removed after serving half of their sentence. This threshold is due to fall to 30 percent next month following recommendations from the Independent Sentencing Review. Under the latest changes, foreign offenders will be deported as soon as they are sentenced.

“Our message is clear,” Mahmood said. “If you abuse our hospitality and break our laws, we will send you packing.”

Foreign offenders account for about one in eight inmates in England and Wales. Government estimates suggest the reforms could save taxpayers around £54,000 per year for each prison place freed.

The new rules will apply to prisoners serving fixed term sentences, both current inmates and those yet to be sentenced.

Authorities will retain discretion to keep some individuals in custody, for example if there is evidence they might commit further offences against the UK or pose a national security risk. Those serving life terms will still be required to complete their sentences before deportation.

Mahmood said deportations had already risen under the current administration and would now “happen earlier than ever before”.

The move comes amid an acute capacity crisis in prisons. Official figures have revealed just how little space remains in the system, forcing ministers to consider measures that would once have been seen as politically risky.

Critics are likely to raise questions over the practicalities of securing deportations, particularly where offenders face potential danger in their countries of origin or where diplomatic agreements are lacking.

Sifuna Raises Alarm Over IEBC’s ‘Flawed’ Decisions Since Reconstitution

Nairobi senator Edwin Sifuna has accused the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) of breaching the law in two recent decisions, warning that the moves risk undermining public confidence in the electoral body.

In a statement on Saturday, Sifuna said the Erastus Ethekon-led electoral body made its first violation when it replaced Treasury CS John Mbadi, who resigned from a nominated parliamentary seat.

Mbadi, who was nominated to Parliament by the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) in 2022, was roped into government as part of the broad-based administration formed after a political truce between President William Ruto and ODM leader Raila Odinga.

Mbadi had been nominated under the “workers” category, and Sifuna argues the law requires his successor to come from the same category. Mbadi was replaced by Harold Kimuge Kipchumba, a person with disability.

“The commission ignored the law on selecting the next person from the same category,” he said.

The senator also faulted the IEBC’s scheduling of an upcoming by-election, saying it contravenes Article 101(4)(b) of the constitution.

The provision requires a by-election to be held within 90 days of the issuance of writs, but Sifuna said the commission’s chosen date of November 27 exceeds the limit by more than ten days.

The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has declared that all by-elections will take place on November 27, 2025.

In a notification, the commission explained that the gazettement process for these by-elections has been carried out in two stages. The first stage involved the gazettement of 16 ward by-elections, which was completed on Friday, August 8. At the same time, the IEBC appointed the Returning and Deputy Returning Officers responsible for managing the elections.

The wards included in this initial batch are Angata Nanyokie in Samburu County; Chemundu/Kapng’etuny in Nandi County; Chewani in Tana River County; Fafi in Garissa County; Kariobangi North in Nairobi County; Kisa East in Kakamega County; and Metkei in Elgeyo Marakwet County.

Further wards scheduled for by-elections are Mumbuni North in Machakos County; Narok Town in Narok County; Purko in Kajiado County; Tembelio in Uasin Gishu County; Nyansiongo, Nyamaiya, and Ekerenyo in Nyamira County; as well as Lake Zone and Nanaam in Turkana County.

“These are two back-to-back manifestly flawed decisions,” he said. “They are enough cause for alarm.”

The IEBC has not yet responded to Sifuna’s claims. The disputes come as the commission faces heightened scrutiny ahead of several by-elections later this year.

Liverpool and Crystal Palace set for Community Shield showdown

The annual curtain raiser to the English football season takes place this Sunday as Liverpool meet Crystal Palace in the Community Shield at Wembley Stadium.

Liverpool, champions of last season’s Premier League, will face the Eagles, who secured their place with a historic FA Cup triumph.

The London side ended a 120-year wait for major silverware by defeating Manchester City in May. Eberechi Eze scored the decisive goal in a tense final, with Palace defending resolutely against a City team that enjoyed 79 per cent possession and produced 23 attempts on goal.

Pep Guardiola’s side, despite relentless pressure, were unable to find a breakthrough.

The Community Shield has long been seen as both a celebration and a test ahead of the new campaign. Since 1993, matches level after 90 minutes have gone directly to penalties, with no extra time.

Before that, the trophy was shared in the event of a draw, a practice abandoned more than three decades ago.

This year’s contest will be staged at Wembley, which can host up to 90,000 supporters. Kick-off is scheduled for 3pm BST. Liverpool arrive seeking to assert their dominance early, while Palace aim to prove that their FA Cup victory was no one-off.

Last year’s Shield was claimed by Manchester City, but the competition often defies expectation, offering a stage for new signings and rising talents to impress.

Summer of Spectacle: Best Transfer Reveals… and Worst

It has been a season of inventive football transfer announcements, with clubs leaning into pop culture for inspiration.

Alejandro Gómez’s move to Padova was introduced with a Saturday Night Fever-style video. The former Atalanta playmaker, famous for his 2017 hit Dance Like the Papu, strutted through the streets of Padua in 1970s fashion to the sound of Stayin’ Alive.

The 2022 World Cup winner is returning from a two-year doping ban, which he said was caused by his son’s cough medicine, and will join his Serie B teammates later this month.

Bryan Mbeumo’s farewell to Brentford before his transfer to Manchester United took the form of an Interstellar-inspired video.

The Cameroon forward recreated an emotional scene from the film while reflecting on his six years with the club.

https://twitter.com/BMbeumo19/status/1947380783691534652

Saúl Ñíguez’s switch from Atlético Madrid to Flamengo was announced with a Better Call Saul-themed poster.

The midfielder reportedly changed course from an agreed deal with Trabzonspor after a phone call from Flamengo coach and former teammate Filipe Luís.

https://twitter.com/Flamengo/status/1948126329251262541

Paul Pogba’s return from a lengthy doping ban to join Monaco featured two contrasting videos. The first was polished and confident. The second showed a tearful Pogba signing his contract, thanking the club for its trust.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1939021537958383665

Porto opted for secrecy in unveiling Luuk de Jong from PSV. The striker’s arrival was concealed until he emerged before a pre-season match, surprising fans who had no hint of the transfer.

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1952095785715187852

Not all efforts have landed well. Burnley’s Lionel Richie-themed reveal for Kyle Walker drew criticism for awkward acting and a confusing premise.

Australia to Lock Out Children Under-16 From Social Media

Australians using platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat and X will soon have to prove they are at least 16 years old, under new laws coming into force on 10 December.

The government’s “age-restricted social media” rules apply to any service whose main purpose is enabling interaction between users and allowing them to post material, with some exemptions.

Messaging, professional networking, online gaming, education and health-related platforms are likely to be excluded, meaning services such as WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Roblox and Coursera could escape the ban if formally assessed to meet the criteria.

Communications minister Anika Wells said the targeted platforms must deactivate underage accounts, block new sign-ups from children, verify users’ ages and guard against workarounds. Enforcement will be overseen by the eSafety commissioner, who can issue fines of up to A$49.5m for non-compliance.

To keep teenagers out, companies will have to verify the ages of all users. Although ID checks may be used, they cannot be the sole method. Likely approaches include bank or mobile provider confirmation, photo ID matched with uploaded images, facial age estimation technology, or AI-based inference from account history and behaviour.

Critics question whether the system can be watertight. Prime minister Anthony Albanese conceded some young people will find ways around the ban, comparing it to alcohol restrictions. In the UK, where similar age verification was introduced for adult websites this week, VPN usage has surged.

Platforms beyond the headline names — including Bluesky, Truth Social, Discord and Twitch — will also need to assess whether they fall under the law.

Albanese insists the changes are worth pursuing despite the challenges. “This is too important for us not to have a crack,” he said. “These are world-leading rules — not set-and-forget, but set-and-support.”

North Korea Begins Removing Propaganda Loudspeakers After South’s Goodwill Gesture

South Korea’s military says it has detected North Korea dismantling some of its loudspeakers along the heavily fortified inter-Korean border, in what could be an early sign of easing tensions.

The move comes days after Seoul began taking down its own front-line loudspeakers used for anti-Pyongyang propaganda broadcasts.

Those broadcasts blaring, K-pop songs and political messages, were halted in June by newly elected liberal president Lee Jae Myung, in his government’s first tangible step toward repairing fractured relations.

In recent months, North Korean border speakers have blasted a barrage of irritating sounds, from howling animals to pounding gongs, in retaliation for Seoul’s campaigns.

The South’s Joint Chiefs of Staff did not disclose where the North’s removals are taking place or confirm whether all units would be withdrawn.

Pyongyang has yet to publicly acknowledge the dismantling. The regime is highly sensitive to outside criticism of leader Kim Jong Un and his family’s dynastic rule, and has previously reacted with hostility to such propaganda efforts.

The loudspeaker standoff flared last year under ousted conservative president Yoon Suk-yeol, when his government resumed broadcasts in response to North Korean balloon drops carrying rubbish into the South.

The tit-for-tat exchanges evoked Cold War–style psychological warfare and came against a backdrop of North Korea’s advancing nuclear programme and expanded US–South Korea–Japan security cooperation.

Although Lee’s administration has sought dialogue, Pyongyang’s response has been cool. Kim Yo Jong, the leader’s influential sister, dismissed overtures in July, criticising Seoul’s alliance with Washington. She also rebuffed US diplomatic overtures, signalling a pivot toward closer ties with Moscow amid the war in Ukraine.

Tensions may spike again later this month when South Korea and the US launch annual joint military drills on 18 August, exercises North Korea routinely labels as invasion rehearsals and uses to justify weapons tests.

Tens of Thousands of Israelis Flood Tel Aviv Streets; Oppose Gaza Occupation Plan

Tens of thousands of Israelis filled the streets of Tel Aviv on Saturday, demanding the release of hostages held in Gaza and calling for an end to the war, just a day after the government approved plans to seize Gaza City.

Protesters carried pictures of the 49 hostages still in Hamas captivity — 27 of whom the Israeli military says are dead — and chanted for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to secure their return. Organisers from the Hostages and Missing Families Forum claimed as many as 100,000 people attended, while AFP journalists estimated the turnout in the tens of thousands. Authorities provided no official figure.

“We will end with a direct message to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu: if you invade parts of Gaza and the hostages are murdered, we will pursue you in the town squares, in election campaigns and at every time and place,” said Shahar Mor Zahiro, a relative of a slain hostage.

On Friday, Netanyahu’s security cabinet approved a major operation aimed at capturing Gaza City, prompting criticism from foreign allies who have been pushing for a ceasefire deal to secure hostage releases and ease Gaza’s humanitarian crisis. Netanyahu insisted on social media that Israel was “not going to occupy Gaza” but to “free Gaza from Hamas.”

The Palestinian Authority condemned the plan as “a new crime,” with president Mahmud Abbas urging immediate action to halt it and calling for the PA to assume responsibility in Gaza.

Gaza’s civil defence agency reported at least 37 people killed by Israeli fire on Saturday, including 30 civilians waiting for aid. According to Gaza’s health ministry, more than 61,000 Palestinians have been killed since the war began in October 2023, following a Hamas attack on Israel that left 1,219 dead.

The protests mark one of the largest anti-war rallies in Israel since the conflict began 22 months ago.

Two Dead After ENA Coach Bus Involved in Escarpment Crash

Two people, an adult woman and a minor, died on Saturday night after an ENA Coach bus travelling from Nairobi to Kehancha was involved in a road accident along the Escarpment.

According to the company, the bus, registration number KDE 279Q, had departed Nairobi at around 8pm with 47 passengers and three crew members on board. The journey was uneventful until the vehicle began descending near the historical Catholic Church, where a truck reportedly lost its brakes.

Witnesses said the truck first struck two other vehicles before ramming the bus from behind. The force of the collision caused the bus to veer off the road and overturn.

Rescue teams from St John Ambulance, police officers, and well-wishers quickly responded to the scene, pulling victims from the wreckage and transporting the injured to nearby hospitals. The bus company said several passengers were admitted for treatment, though most had been discharged by Sunday morning.

In a statement, ENA Coach expressed “profound sorrow” over the deaths and extended condolences to the bereaved families. “Our hearts go out to the families and friends who have lost loved ones in this tragedy,” said Chief Executive Officer Richard Mogire. “We stand with you in this time of grief and wish those injured a swift and full recovery.”

The company confirmed it is cooperating fully with authorities investigating the cause of the accident and reaffirmed its commitment to passenger safety.

The Escarpment stretch of the Nairobi–Naivasha highway has long been considered a high-risk section due to steep gradients and sharp bends, with brake failures among heavy vehicles a recurring hazard.

Road safety campaigners have renewed calls for stricter vehicle inspections and improved road engineering to reduce such incidents.

Authorities are expected to release a full report on the crash in the coming days.

Mohamed Salah Criticises UEFA Over Tribute to Slain Palestinian Footballer

Liverpool and Egypt forward Mohamed Salah has publicly challenged UEFA for failing to mention the circumstances surrounding the death of former Palestinian national team player Suleiman Al-Obeid, killed in Gaza earlier this week.

In a brief tribute posted on X, European football’s governing body hailed Al-Obeid as the “Palestinian Pelé,” praising his talent and the hope he inspired. The message made no reference to the conflict or the cause of death.

Responding on Saturday, Salah wrote: “Can you tell us how he died, where, and why?” His post rapidly gained traction, amassing more than 840,000 likes by the evening. UEFA has not expanded on its statement, though the Palestine Football Association later shared what it said was a condolence message from UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin, lauding Al-Obeid’s resilience and legacy.

The PFA said the 41-year-old was killed by an Israeli strike while waiting for humanitarian aid in southern Gaza, and had scored more than 100 goals over his career. It reported that 325 members of Palestine’s football community — including players, coaches, referees and officials — have been killed since the war began in October 2023.

The UN says more than 1,300 people have died while seeking food since late May, with over 800 killed near aid distribution points linked to the controversial Gaza Humanitarian Foundation.

Salah, the most high-profile Arab player in global football, has repeatedly called for humanitarian aid to enter Gaza “immediately” and urged an end to the “massacres.” Palestine has been recognised by FIFA since 1998 and competed in the past three Asian Cups, though it has yet to qualify for the World Cup.

Al-Obeid’s death has sparked renewed debate over sport’s role in acknowledging human suffering amid conflict.

Create a free account, or log in.

Gain access to read this content, plus limited free content.

Yes! I would like to receive new content and updates.

Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6