Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6
27.3 C
Kenya
Sunday, May 24, 2026
Home Blog Page 1394

Security Agencies Urged to Curb Rising Electricity Vandalism

Energy Principal Secretary Alex Wachira has called on security agencies to intensify efforts in tackling the growing menace of electricity vandalism, warning that it is sabotaging the economy, disrupting essential services, and endangering communities.

Speaking at Kandutura Village in Laikipia North Constituency during the commissioning of a rural electrification project by the Rural Electrification and Renewable Energy Corporation (REREC), Mr. Wachira stressed the need to protect critical infrastructure, especially power transformers, from criminal elements. He was accompanied by Tourism PS Sylvia Museiya and area MP Sarah Korere.

The Energy PS also revealed that the government is considering reviving a stalled high-voltage power transmission and substation development project, which was halted following the cancellation of a $736.6 million (Ksh.95 billion) deal between Adani Energy Solutions and the Kenya Electricity Transmission Company (Ketraco). The project had been designed to boost the reliability of Kenya’s electricity supply and address persistent power outages.

Wachira said the government plans to reinitiate the transmission project through a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model to ensure its completion. He further announced plans to generate geothermal power from Menengai in Nakuru County and to construct new substations in Ol-Kalou, Nyandarua County, and Rumuruti, Laikipia County, to enhance electricity supply in the region.

The PS reiterated that safeguarding power infrastructure was essential for the success of these initiatives and the country’s overall economic stability.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Syria Declines to Join Paris Talks with Kurdish-Led SDF

Syria will not participate in planned meetings with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in Paris, state television reported on Saturday, casting uncertainty over an integration agreement signed between the two sides in March.

A government source, quoted by the state news agency, confirmed Damascus’ withdrawal from the talks but did not elaborate on the reasons. The development raises questions about the future of the deal, which aimed to formalise cooperation between the Syrian government and the SDF in governance and security arrangements.

The SDF, backed by the United States, served as the main fighting force against the Islamic State group in Syria, playing a pivotal role in the 2019 campaign that dismantled the militants’ self-proclaimed caliphate across Syria and Iraq.

The decision to skip the Paris meetings underscores the ongoing political rift between Damascus and the SDF, particularly over issues of autonomy and foreign alliances, and comes amid renewed regional tensions in northern Syria.

Court Orders Exhumation of GSU Officer Buried in Church Compound

A Rongo court has ordered the exhumation of a General Service Unit (GSU) police officer buried earlier this year within the compound of the controversial St. Joseph Mission of Messiah in Africa, Rongo Sub-County.

Delivering the judgment, Rongo Principal Magistrate Chrisphine Orwo directed that the remains of the late officer, identified as Dan Ayoo Obura, be reburied at his ancestral home in Kochieng Village, Nyando Sub-County, Kisumu County.

The magistrate ruled that the deceased’s wife must guide public health officers to the exact burial site within the church compound to ensure a precise and respectful exhumation.

The court instructed that the process be conducted by a public health officer under the security of the Officer Commanding Kamagambo Police Station. It further directed that the officer’s wife participate in the burial rites at the Nyando homestead.

Magistrate Orwo said the ruling was guided by customary law, which he noted takes precedence in such matters when consistent with justice. He dismissed claims by the respondents that the burial in the church compound was justified because the officer had sold his only piece of land, terming the argument “illogical.”

The officer’s widow, Lilian Atieno, has signaled her intention to appeal the decision. Obura was buried in March 2025, months before the government shut down the St. Joseph Mission of Messiah over multiple allegations. The premises had earlier been declared a crime scene by security officials in Rongo Sub-County.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Bayern Munich Ends Rwanda Tourism Sponsorship Amid Conflict Criticism

Rwanda's President Paul Kagame (C) attends the UEFA Champions League quarter final first-leg football match between Arsenal and Bayern Munich at the Arsenal Stadium, in north London, on April 9, 2024. (Photo by Ian Kington / IKIMAGES / AFP)

Bayern Munich will terminate its tourism sponsorship deal with Rwanda, shifting the focus to football development, following mounting criticism over the country’s alleged role in the ongoing conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

The German champions announced on Friday that the partnership, signed in 2023 and initially set to run until 2028, would no longer promote tourism under the “Visit Rwanda” brand. Instead, the agreement will now centre on expanding the FC Bayern Youth Academy in Kigali.

“The new arrangement transitions away from a commercial sponsorship to a dedicated partnership focusing on football development in Rwanda,” Bayern CEO Jan-Christian Dreesen said in a statement.

While the club did not explicitly mention the controversy, German media reported that the move follows growing criticism linked to the escalating violence in eastern DRC.

The Rwandan government has faced accusations of human rights abuses and backing the M23 rebel group, which, alongside Rwandan troops, captured the cities of Goma and Bukavu earlier this year. The United Nations estimates thousands have died since the offensive intensified in January 2025.

In February, Bayern fans unfurled a banner at the Allianz Arena claiming the deal “betrayed the values” of the club. The sponsorship had replaced a previous, also controversial, partnership with Qatar. Bayern later sent staff to Rwanda to assess the situation before deciding on the contract shift.

The original deal featured “Visit Rwanda” advertising at Bayern’s 75,000-seat home stadium. Similar agreements between Rwanda and Premier League club Arsenal, as well as Champions League winners Paris Saint-Germain, have also faced criticism from human rights groups and supporters.

The revised Bayern–Rwanda partnership will run until 2028.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Eight Insurance Firms Suspend Services at Nairobi Hospital Over Cost Hike

Eight leading insurance companies have suspended their services at The Nairobi Hospital following a sharp increase in treatment costs announced by the facility.

The insurers, Madison Insurance, First Assurance, Minet, Old Mutual, Britam, AAR Insurance, CIC Group, and Pacis Insurance, say the new charges, which have reportedly risen by up to 61% on key services such as scans, ultrasounds, and bed charges, are unsustainable.

In a statement, AAR Insurance said the cost hike raised serious concerns about long-term affordability for members. “With our customers’ best interests at heart, we engaged The Nairobi Hospital in open and constructive discussions, aiming to agree on a more sustainable, volume-based model that would safeguard both quality and affordability.

Despite sincere efforts from both parties, we were unable to reach mutually acceptable terms. As a result, AAR Insurance member access to The Nairobi Hospital will be temporarily suspended effective Monday, 11 August 2025,” the insurer said.

Similarly, CIC Group informed its staff that services at the hospital would be suspended from Tuesday, 12 August 2025. The company noted that the revised charges could not be sustained, “not even with a premium revision,” and that negotiations with the hospital had failed to yield an agreement.

Most of the affected insurers are expected to implement the suspension next week. The development comes amid ongoing wrangles within The Nairobi Hospital’s leadership, with stakeholders urging both the facility and insurers to find a resolution to safeguard patient access to quality healthcare.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Seven Killed in Tragic Head-On Collision on Nairobi–Namanga Highway

By Michelle Ndaga.

At least seven people have died following a grisly head-on collision between a Nailepu Sacco matatu and a lorry along the Nairobi-Namanga Highway.

The fatal crash occurred on Saturday, August 9, at Korompoi, near Kitengela, with police reporting that the impact was so severe several victims died instantly. Isinya Sub County Police Commander Simon Lomitari confirmed the fatalities, saying rescue operations began immediately after the accident to assist survivors and retrieve bodies from the wreckage.

Witnesses described a chaotic scene as emergency responders, including police and medics, worked to clear the highway and rush the injured to nearby hospitals. Authorities have yet to release the exact number of those injured but warned motorists to exercise caution on the busy route, especially during peak travel hours.

The cause of the crash is under investigation, with preliminary reports suggesting reckless driving could have played a role. The Nairobi–Namanga Highway is a key transport corridor, but it has also been a hotspot for fatal accidents in recent years.

Seven Killed in Nairobi–Namanga Highway Crash

Seven people have died following a grisly road accident early Saturday morning at Korompoi, near Kitengela, along the Nairobi–Namanga highway.

According to police, the crash involved a Nailepu Sacco matatu and a lorry in a head-on collision.

Authorities confirmed that all seven fatalities were from the matatu. Police have launched investigations to determine the cause of the accident.

More details to follow…

Written By Rodney Mbua

KUCCPS Launches Teacher Upgrade Programme, Reopens TVET Applications

The Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) has introduced a new upgrade programme for teachers holding P1 or Early Childhood Development Education (ECDE) certificates, enabling them to advance to a Diploma in Primary Teacher Education (DPTE).

The initiative is aimed at equipping educators with the skills required to effectively deliver Kenya’s Competency Based Curriculum (CBC) and to address the shortage of well-prepared teachers, particularly at lower levels of learning.

Eligible applicants must be registered with the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) and can select their preferred Teacher Training College (TTC) for flexible training sessions beginning this month or during the November–December school holidays.

Online applications, which opened on August 6, will run continuously with short processing breaks, with the initial deadline set for August 20.

“The upgrade programme will ensure that there are no shortages of teachers who are well prepared to deliver the Competency Based Curriculum, especially at the lower levels of learning,” KUCCPS Chief Executive Officer Dr. Agnes Mercy Wahome said.

In addition, KUCCPS has reopened applications for the September 2025 intake into Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) institutions. The application window runs from August 8 to August 22, with the fee reduced from KSh 1,500 to KSh 500 to encourage more Kenyans to apply.

Applications for both programmes are being submitted exclusively through KUCCPS’s online portals.

Written By Rodney Mbua

African Development Bank to Lead $7.8 Billion Fundraising for Ethiopia’s Mega Airport

The African Development Bank (AfDB) will spearhead efforts to raise $7.8 billion (Ksh.1 trillion) for the construction of a new international airport in Ethiopia, set to become Africa’s largest when completed in 2029.

In a statement late Thursday, the AfDB said its appointment as lead arranger “reflects its catalytic role in advancing strategic infrastructure across the continent and its proven leadership in structuring complex transactions.”

The four-runway facility will be built near Bishoftu, about 45 kilometres southeast of Addis Ababa, under a design agreement signed by state-owned Ethiopian Airlines. Once operational, it will have the capacity to handle 100 million passengers annually, quadruple the current capacity of Bole Addis Ababa International Airport, which is nearing its 25-million-passenger limit.

Ethiopian Airlines CEO Mesfin Tasew revealed on Tuesday that the $10 billion project will be funded through a mix of airline contributions, covering 20%, and external financing from creditors.

A formal signing ceremony, attended by AfDB President Akinwumi Adesina and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, is scheduled for Monday in Addis Ababa. The development marks a significant milestone for Africa’s aviation infrastructure and reinforces Ethiopia’s position as a continental air transport hub.

Written By Rodney Mbua

Trump Demands Ksh.129 Billion From University of California Over UCLA Gaza Protests

President Donald Trump on Friday demanded a staggering $1 billion (Ksh.129 billion) fine from the University of California (UC) system, accusing UCLA of antisemitism in its handling of 2024 student protests linked to the Gaza conflict.

The administration claims the university failed to protect Jewish students during the demonstrations, which saw violent clashes between pro-Palestinian activists, counter-protesters, and police. Media reports say the White House is also seeking $172 million for a claims fund to compensate alleged victims of discrimination.

California Governor Gavin Newsom, a UC board member, fiercely rejected the demand, calling it “extortion” and vowing to sue. “He has threatened us with a billion-dollar fine unless we do his bidding,” Newsom said, praising the UC system as central to California’s economic and scientific leadership.

UC officials warn that such a penalty would cripple the nation’s top public university network, which is already facing a federal freeze of more than half a billion dollars in UCLA research grants. Trump’s move mirrors a pressure campaign previously used on Columbia University, which agreed to restrictions on race-based admissions and hiring, and is reportedly being deployed against Harvard as well.

Pro-Palestinian encampments erupted on dozens of U.S. campuses in 2024, with police crackdowns and mob violence prompting then-president Joe Biden to insist that “order must prevail.” Since returning to the White House in January, Trump has intensified attacks on what his MAGA movement sees as liberal, elitist academia hostile to nationalist policies.

Newsom vowed California would not follow other institutions that yielded to similar White House demands, saying, “We will not be complicit in this attack on academic freedom or this extraordinary public institution.”

Written By Rodney Mbua

Create a free account, or log in.

Gain access to read this content, plus limited free content.

Yes! I would like to receive new content and updates.

Sponsored Ad

Ad 1
Ad 2
Ad 3
Ad 4
Ad 5
Ad 6