By Bonface Mulyungi
President William Ruto has mourned gospel artist Rachel Wendeto, extending condolences to her family.
The President said those responsible for her killing will be held accountable.
Wandeto who was attacked by unknown people using petrol and fire, succumbed to her injuries in hospital. She had sustained 70 per cent burns. Officials said she died Monday morning.
She was fighting for her life at the Kenyatta National Hospital after unknown individuals attacked her, pouring petrol on her before setting her ablaze in Mwiki area, Nairobi.
In a statement, the President said the government would pursue justice regardless of the perpetrators’ affiliations, while condemning rising cases of political intolerance and violence targeting civilians.
“May God grant the family and friends comfort, peace, and courage to bear with the loss of Ms Rachel Wandetto,” Ruto said.
“The criminals that attacked this hardworking and promising lady will be held to account, irrespective of their affiliation.”
He warned that acts of violence and intimidation posed a threat to democratic freedoms, including the right to free expression and association.
“Kenya has no place for political intolerance that suppresses free speech or association. This threatens our democratic stability.”
The attack sparked public outrage, with preliminary reports suggesting it may have been politically motivated.
News of her death was confirmed by her industry colleague Karangu Muraya, who revealed that the victim succumbed to her burns, which led her to urgently need a blood donation.
“A great soul has rested… May your soul rest in peace, Rachel Wandeto,” he said.
It is alleged that the incident came days after Wandeto publicly expressed support for President William Ruto’s 2027 re-election bid, including drawing a tattoo in his honour.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen visited Wandeto on Sunday, a day before her demise.

Murkomen condemned the attack, issuing orders to the police to fast-track investigations and bring the perpetrators to book.
“If it is true, as there have been speculations around the possibility of a political motive by basically attacking her for her political beliefs, this is really very dangerous for our country,” Murkomen stated.
Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja confirmed that investigations had already commenced, further ordering the Directorate of Criminal Investigations to move with speed to establish what transpired and the motive behind the attack.
“The investigations have commenced. The DCI have been directed to move with speed to establish what happened so that all those involved must have their day before a court of law,” Kanja ordered.
Murkomen further warned political leaders against incitement, saying rising ethnic and divisive politics could be fuelling violence, and that authorities will go after the planners and perpetrators of the attack to ensure such an incident is never repeated.

















