Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has suspended 16 county officials after the collapse of a school building in Nairobi’s Ngong Road area.
The governor who blamed the collapse on negligent county staff issued the suspension directive after jetting into the country from the United States where he attended the United Nations, General Assembly.
However, Urban planning Chief officer Justus Kathenge, who was among those listed for suspension, has been on suspension.
Justus Kathenge had been accused of allegedly flaunting Zoning regulations by the county government on April 20th this year.
Among those who are suspended are;
1. Charles Kerich, the current County Executive Committee Member (CECM) for Finance and Economic Planning, who is the immediate former CECM for Lands and Urban Planning
2. Mohammed Dagane – CECM Health (responsible for general public health and safety)
3. Justus Kathenge, suspended County Chief Officer for Urban Planning (to continue in suspension)
4. Jusper Ndeke, Director Planning Compliance and Enforcement
5. Dominic Mutegi, Development Management Director
6. Ochanda Ondari Fredrick, Assistant Director Enforcement
7. Ruth Waruguru, Director Urban Planning
8. Thomas Dudi, Assistant Director Planning9. Simon Onyango, Development Officer (regularization of buildings/approval of architectural plans)
10. Alex Mucheru, Development Control (overseeing approvals of buildings and schools on behalf of public health and safety)
11. Mackline Saitera, Development Control (approval of building plans and school inspection)
12. Edna Guantai, In-charge of approval of public buildings and schools on behalf of public health
13. Joyce Kyengo, Dagoretti South Sub-County Administrator
14. Lucy Wairimu Munyika, Dagoretti South Sub-County Commander
15. Sylivia Mwikali Nthinga, Dagoretti South Sub-County Planning Officer
16. Okal Kennedy, Ngando Ward Administrator