Russian Drone Strikes Hit Kyiv Homes as Peace Efforts Intensify

Resident buildings burn after Russian missile and drone strikes, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine November 29, 2025. REUTERS/Anton Shynkarenko

A fresh wave of Russian drone and missile strikes hit residential areas of Kyiv early Saturday, killing one person and injuring at least seven others, according to city and regional officials.

The attack, which shook several districts of the Ukrainian capital, came just hours before Ukrainian negotiators were set to begin talks with U.S. officials on a revised American peace proposal.

Kyiv Mayor Vitaly Klitschko said a 13-year-old child was among the injured and confirmed that four people had been taken to hospital. Rescue teams later recovered the body of a man from a damaged building in the western Sviatoshynskyi district.

Multiple fires broke out after debris struck apartment blocks, including a blaze on the lower floors of a high-rise west of the city centre. Another fire in a central neighbourhood was quickly contained.

Tymur Tkachenko, head of Kyiv’s military administration, said drones targeted “multiple locations on the capital’s outskirts” and that air defence systems were engaged throughout the assault.

East of Kyiv, in the town of Brovary, two women were injured as “missiles and drones” struck residential zones, regional authorities reported.

The strike follows a deadly barrage earlier in the week that killed seven people in Kyiv, part of a night of cross-border attacks that also left three dead in Russia’s Rostov region.

Firefighters extinguish burning vehicles, damaged during a Russian missile and drone attack on Kyiv, amid Russia’s attack on Ukraine, November 29, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko

Saturday’s bombardment came as diplomatic activity surrounding a potential peace agreement intensified. President Donald Trump has been urging both sides to adopt a draft U.S. peace plan, initially criticised by Ukraine for favouring Moscow’s demands.

After negotiations in Geneva, U.S. and Ukrainian officials revised the proposal, and further discussions are scheduled for the weekend.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, however, reiterated on Thursday that Russia would halt its offensive only if Ukrainian forces withdrew from territories claimed by Moscow. He also confirmed that a U.S. delegation led by special envoy Steve Witkoff is expected in Moscow next week to continue talks on the draft plan.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, in a late Thursday video address, said the upcoming discussions with the United States are intended to shape the Geneva agreements into “a path toward peace and real security guarantees” despite ongoing attacks on Ukrainian cities.

Source: BBC

Written By Rodney Mbua