By Bonface Mulyungi
Southampton have been thrown out of the play-offs after admitting they spied on three clubs in the Championship season.

The EFL charged Saints with watching training sessions of Oxford United and Ipswich Town, in addition to filming Middlesbrough as they prepared for the first leg of their play-off semi-final on 7 May.
The independent disciplinary commission also handed Southampton a four-point deduction in the Championship for next season.
Middlesbrough, beaten by Southampton in the semi-final, have been reinstated and will now play Hull City for a place in the Premier League.
The final will remain on Saturday at Wembley with the kick-off time to be confirmed.
Southampton admitted to “multiple breaches of EFL regulations related to the unauthorised filming of other clubs’ training”, the EFL said.
The club have also received a reprimand in respect of all the charges.
The EFL said in a statement: “Southampton was first charged on Friday 8 May, with further charges issued on Sunday 17 May in relation to additional breaches during the 2025-26 season.
“Those additional charges arose from matters identified after the initial proceedings involving Middlesbrough were initiated.

“Southampton admitted breaches of regulations requiring clubs to act with the utmost good faith and prohibiting the observation of another club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.
“The admitted breaches concern fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026.
Southampton have the right to appeal against the commission’s decision and “are working to try and resolve any appeal on Wednesday 20 May”.
Middlesbrough issued a statement which said they “welcome the outcome”.
“We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct,” it added.
“As a club, we are now focused on our game against Hull City at Wembley on Saturday. Ticket information for our supporters will be available shortly.”

What did Southampton do?
It was the morning of Thursday, 7 May.
Middlesbrough were at their Rockliffe Park training base preparing for the game against Southampton 48 hours later.
The spy, a Southampton analyst, is said to have parked at the golf club, then walked a couple of hundred yards down a road which leads to a raised area of ground.
Sources revealed that the accused simply stood pointing his mobile at the training session, while wearing in-ear headphones.
Middlesbrough staff believe he may have been live-streaming the session via a video call.
A member of Middlesbrough’s staff approached, say sources, but the person would not identify himself. Then, he quickly deleted some content off his phone before running off into the golf club.
He jogged into the toilets, changed his clothes and hurriedly left the site.
Middlesbrough’s photographer took photos and matched him to a photo on the Southampton website. One of those pictures was subsequently made public last week.
Boro were furious and quickly reported it to the EFL.
The EFL charged Southampton with breaking two regulations.
EFL Regulation 3.4, which requires clubs to act towards each other with the utmost good faith; and
EFL Regulation 127, which prohibits any club from observing, or attempting to observe, another club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match between the two clubs.



















