Southampton lose appeal against play-off expulsion

Southampton's appeal against being thrown out of the Championship play-off final for spying has been rejected.

Stacy Boit,

Southampton’s appeal against being thrown out of the Championship play-off final for spying has been rejected.

The match will now go ahead on Saturday between Hull City and Middlesbrough (15:30 BST kick-off), with a place in the Premier League on the line.

An EFL independent disciplinary commission on Tuesday evening expelled Southampton from the play-offs and reinstated Middlesbrough, who had lost 2-1 to the Saints on aggregate in the semi-finals.

Southampton admitted spying on three rivals’ training sessions – including Boro before the semi-final first leg – but had appealed against their expulsion, calling it “manifestly disproportionate to every previous sanction in the history of the English game”.

However, the EFL has rejected Saints’ appeal and upheld the punishment.

“A league arbitration panel has tonight dismissed Southampton Football Club’s appeal against the independent disciplinary commission’s sanction following the admittance of multiple breaches of EFL regulations,” the EFL said on Wednesday.

“The determination means that the original sanction of expulsion from the Championship play-offs remains in place, as does the four-point deduction to be applied to the 2026-27 Championship table and the reprimand in respect of all charges.”

The decision is final and there is no further right of appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Southampton issued a statement calling the ruling “an extremely disappointing outcome”.

It added: “While we fully acknowledge the seriousness of this matter and the scrutiny that has followed, the club has consistently believed the original sporting sanction was disproportionate, a view that has been widely shared by many in the football community over the last 24 hours.

“While tonight is a painful moment, this football club will respond with humility, accountability and determination to put things right.”

Saints midfielder Leo Scienza said his side’s expulsion was “heartbreaking” and expressed sympathy for everyone involved, including Hull and Middlesbrough.

He posted on Instagram, external: “Disappointment, anger, sadness. It’s difficult to find the right words for what we’re all feeling right now.

“What has happened over the last days is heartbreaking. For the club, for every player in this dressing room, and above all for our supporters. A moment like this should never end the way it did.

“I feel sorry for every football fan, as well as the players and supporters of Hull and Boro, who were caught up in all of this chaos too.

“We gave everything for this dream. Day after day, sacrifice after sacrifice, always believing we could bring this club back to where it belongs. For me, the dream of playing in the Premier League was something I fought for with everything I had. That’s why this pain cuts so deep.”

Earlier on Wednesday, Southampton chief executive Phil Parsons said the club could not “accept a sanction which bears no proportion to the offence”.

Parsons pointed to a £200,000 fine issued to Leeds United in 2019 for spying on Derby as evidence of precedent.

However, when Leeds were punished seven years ago, regulation 127 – which expressly forbids observing an opponent within 72 hours of a game – did not exist. It was introduced as a result of Leeds’ wrongdoing.

Hull, meanwhile, are unhappy they will have to face different opponents at short notice, with owner Acun Ilicali suggesting the club could take legal action if they lose the final.

Ilicali told Sky Sports he was not happy with the situation, but there was no other option “in order to finish this mess”.

When asked, he did not rule out considering legal routes should Hull fail to reach the Premier League.

“I don’t want to accuse anybody and until we see the full picture, but it has had too much of an effect on us,” Ilicali said.

“I am representing a big club and a big family and I will not let our family get harmed with injustice.”

With the EFL’s process regarding ‘Spygate’ now complete, attention will turn to the Football Association, which could bring separate charges against individuals.