By Bonface Mulyungi
US President Donald Trump has said he is holding off a military attack on Iran planned for Tuesday at the request of Gulf states as “serious negotiations are now taking place”.
In a post on Truth Social, he said he had been asked to do so by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Trump said he had been informed that a deal would be made that is “very acceptable” to the US, adding that there would be “NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!”
But he warned that the US military would be prepared to “go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice” if there was no acceptable deal reached.
Iran has not publicly commented on Trump’s latest statement.
Over the weekend, Trump had warned Tehran that the “clock is ticking” as talks to bring the war to an end stalled.
Israeli and US forces began massive air strikes on Iran on 28 February, while Tehran retaliated by firing drones and missiles at Israel and US targets in countries across the Gulf.
A ceasefire agreed in April meant to facilitate talks has largely been observed despite occasional exchanges of fire.
Iran has also continued to control the Strait of Hormuz, effectively closing the vital waterway through which around 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas travels.
The move, which Iran has said is in retaliation for US and Israeli attacks, has sent oil prices soaring globally.
The US, for its part, has been enforcing a blockade of Iranian ports to exert pressure on Tehran to agree to its terms.
