US warns citizens against travelling to Uganda, DRC, South Sudan over Ebola outbreak

By Bonface Mulyungi

The United States government has warned its citizens against travelling to several East and Central African countries following the Ebola Bundibugyo virus outbreak reported in the region.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the U.S. Department of State said Americans should not travel to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), South Sudan and Uganda due to the outbreak.

At the same time, Rwanda was placed under a Level 3 advisory, with American citizens urged to reconsider travel to the country.

]“The Department of State strongly urges Americans not to travel to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), South Sudan, or Uganda for any reason and to reconsider travel to Rwanda due to the Ebola Bundibugyo Virus disease outbreak in the region,” the statement said.

“The Department’s Travel Advisories for DRC, South Sudan, and Uganda are now Level 4 – Do Not Travel, and the Travel Advisory for Rwanda is Level 3 – Reconsider Travel.”

Kenya’s Ministry of Health has said no Ebola case has been detected in the country, but confirmed that enhanced preparedness and response measures had been activated, including strengthened screening at airports and border points.

In a circular issued to the Council of Governors (CoG) on Monday, the ministry directed all county governments and county departments of health to immediately heighten surveillance and screening at all points of entry.

The ministry said counties are expected to strengthen surveillance in all health facilities, particularly in regions with high cross-border movement and international travel, and to enhance community-based and event-based surveillance systems for early detection and reporting of suspected cases.

Health authorities across East Africa have heightened surveillance and preparedness measures amid fears of possible cross-border transmission.