Police arrested 38 people on Sunday at Jesus Winner Ministry Church in Roysambu amid rising tensions over a planned protest against a recent donation pledge by President William Ruto.
The demonstration, organized under the #OccupyJesusWinner hashtag, followed Ruto’s March 2 visit to the church, where he promised Sh20 million and a further Sh100 million for an upcoming fundraiser.
Bishop Edward Mwai, the church’s leader, accused unnamed individuals of orchestrating the protests, claiming that “thugs” had been sent to disrupt the service.
“People I know very well used them and even sent some here today. May God forgive our children who are being used in such a manner,” Mwai said while addressing congregants.
Heavy police presence was seen at the church, with officers detaining several youths inside the premises. Some were reportedly beaten as police attempted to quell the protests. Mwai later stated that he had ordered their release, insisting that his church promotes peace.
“We are a peaceful church. Some of these people are thugs pretending to be part of us,” he added.
Despite online criticism following the donation pledge, Mwai said he had forgiven those who insulted him.
“I leave it to God. May He forgive them,” he said.
The arrested individuals were taken to Kasarani Police Station for questioning as authorities continued monitoring the situation.



















