Lake Region Economic bloc has selected Eliud Kipchoge, among 16 others, to a socio-economic impact mitigation committee to address the challenges arising from COVID-19 regulations.
The LREB in a statement, lamented the increasing deaths as a result of COVID-19, urging authorities and businesses to unite and utilize resource to contain the spread.
“We are now seeing an increase in the deaths from COVID-19 nationally. LREB offers an opportunity for leveraging and optimizing energies in combatting COVID-19 through filling the gaps identified, sharing, and tackling existing challenges in a unified manner” read the statement.
The strategy is anchored on the Bloc’s capacity to undertake region wide resource mobilization and to provide a platform for resource and information sharing, learning, and joint actions.
This is expected to add impetus to the ongoing Interventions and provide means for sharing of the available infrastructure, human resources, facilitating safe regional commerce, maintaining vital supply chains and provision of essential services and utilities to the residents.
The 17 member committee is expected to oversee:
1. Mandatory screening at ports of entry and contacts of cases gathering and surveillance
2. Conducting cross border data activities for COVID-19.
3. Establishing the level of the Socio-Economic Impact of the COVID 19 pandemic and associated factors on the households and businesses in the Lake Region.
4. Propose the mechanism for effective linkages, inter-county sharing of resources and services for COVID-19, and for Socioeconomic recovery for the benefit of residents within LREB member counties.
5. Empowering communities to participate effectively in the prevention of COVID-19 Infection through communication, multi-sectoral involvement, and advocacy at the community level.
6. Promoting local production of required medical and related supplies
7. Mobilizing required resources to achieve the planned objectives for COVID-19 control.
The proposed committee members who have been identified from the regional industrialists, philanthropists and professionals include:
Charles Mogaka, Ouru enterprises (Kisii)
Dr. Paul Mitei, Kenya Medical Association (Kisumu)
Mr. Sammy Kirui, Finlay Tea estates (Kericho/Bomet)
Mr. Eliud Kipchoge, Renowned athlete, (Nandi)
Charles Ayoti, Businessman (Busia)
Dr. Amin Ali, Businessman (Bungoma)
Prof. Khama Rogo, (World Bank)
Hon. Moody Awori, Businessman (Busia)
Rev. David Chuchu (Homa Bay)
Esther Akoth, Akothee Safaris (Migori)
Monica Ogutu (KMET), Western region
Mr. Louis Otieno, Microsoft International (Homabay)
Mark Ehete, Businessman (Vihiga)
Mr. Patel, Butali Sugar (Kakamega)
Dr. Sylvia Ojodof USAID
Alie Eleveldt, SWAP/HENNET (Western K)
Barth Ragalo, Tysons Limited
The inauguration of the committee is slated for14th August 2020 while the official launch to be graced by the CS Hon. Mutahi Kagwe is on
19th August 2020