Uefa investigates as Benfica player denies racially abusing Vinicius

UEFA have launched an investigation into alleged racist abuse of Vinicius Jr.

Real Madrid star Vinicius reported alleged racist abuse by Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni to referee Francois Letexier during Tuesday’s Champions League play-off first leg in Lisbon.

Prestianni denies racially abusing Vinicius Jr.

Vinicius had put Real Madrid 1-0 up in the second half at the Estadio da Luz before being booked for an excessive celebration.

Following an interaction with Prestianni, Vinicius ran over to referee Letexier and told him he had been racially abused by the Benfica player.

Vinicius walked off the pitch and was followed by his Real Madrid team-mates. Play restarted 10 minutes later and after the match the Brazilian said “racists are cowards” in a post on Instagram.

UEFA have confirmed an “ethics and disciplinary inspector” has been appointed in an “investigation for potential violation of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations”.

A UEFA statement said: “A UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector has been appointed to investigate allegations of discriminatory behaviour during the UEFA Champions League 2025-26 knock-out play-off between Club Benfica and Real Madrid CF on 17 February 2026.”

Vinicius said in a post on social media: “Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to show how weak they are.

“But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or in my team’s life.

“I received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. I still don’t understand why. On the other hand, it was just a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose.”

Prestianni denied directing racial abuse to Vinicius Jr.

“I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard,” said Prestianni in a post on his social media. “I was never racist with anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players.”

Benfica have issued a statement supporting Prestianni, saying they “fully support and believe in the version presented by the player” and that the club “regrets the defamation campaign of which the player has been a victim”.

In a statement on Wednesday, Benfica said: “Benfica views with a full spirit of collaboration, transparency, openness and a sense of clarity the actions announced today by UEFA, following the alleged case of racism that occurred in the game against Real Madrid.

“The club reaffirms, clearly and unequivocally, its historical and unwavering commitment to defending the values ​​of equality, respect and inclusion, which are in line with the core values ​​of its foundation and which have Eusebio as their greatest symbol.

“Benfica also reiterates that it fully supports and believes in the version presented by the player Gianluca Prestianni, whose conduct in service of the club has always been guided by respect for opponents, institutions and the principles that define Benfica’s identity. The club regrets the defamation campaign of which the player has been a victim.”