BY FAITH MUTETE – Every 10 September people all over the world come together to celebrate World Suicide Prevention Day. This is an initiative that has taken place for more than 15 years and it is A day set aside to come together in steps that can reduce the number of lives that are taken by suicide.
The theme selected for this year is suicide prevention which has been tagged the 40 seconds of action. This is because in every 40 seconds someone loses their life because of suicide.
The worlds health organization has come up with some activities for the 40 seconds of action campaign that people all over the world can use to create awareness and here they are;
- If you are struggling, take 40 seconds to kick start a conversation with someone you trust about how you are feeling.
- If you know someone who has lost a loved one to suicide, take 40 seconds to start a conversation and ask them how they are doing.
- If you work in media, highlight the 40-second statistic in interviews, articles and blog posts. If you work in the arts or on digital platforms, interrupt your production or broadcast to transmit a 40-second message about mental health or preventing suicide.
- If you are an employer or manager, take 40 seconds to formulate a positive message of support to your employees about resources available to them in the workplace or local community in times of mental distress.
- If you want your leaders to hear your request for action, record a 40-second audio clip or video telling them the action you want them to take on suicide prevention and mental health.
- If you have a platform for communicating with a large audience (social media, television, radio), provide 40-second slots for sharing mental health stories and messages.
- If you hold political office, communicate publicly about action you are taking to promote mental health and prevent suicide, highlighting the 40-second statistic