At least nine people were killed during a weekend jailbreak in Guinea that saw armed commandos briefly pluck ex-dictator Moussa Dadis Camara from prison, officials said on Monday.
Heavily armed men burst into the prison in the capital Conakry early on Saturday, taking Camara and two other former officials who were on trial alongside him over a 2009 massacre during his presidency.
It was unclear whether Camara had escaped of his own free will in the raid, which the army described as an attempt to “sabotage” government reforms.
Later on Saturday, the army and Camara’s lawyer said he had been recaptured and was back behind bars, without providing details.
On Monday, a statement from Prosecutor General Yamoussa Conte said that nine people had died as a result of the jailbreak commando operation, including three suspected attackers, four security forces and two people, presumed to be civilians, who had been in an ambulance.
Press reports had said earlier that civilians inside an ambulance had been hit during an exchange of gunfire during the raid.